Station Name: SPROTBROUGH

 

[Source: Mark Dyson]


Date opened: 1.12.1894
Location: East side of an unnamed minor road
Company on opening: Hull Barnsley and West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company
Date closed to passengers: 1.2.1903
Date closed completely: 10.8.1964
Company on closing: Hull Barnsley and West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company
Present state: Both platforms are extant but heavily overgrown. The main station building is still standing but in a dilapidated condition. The station house is in private occupation.
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: SE534016
Date of visit: February 2006

Notes: Sprotbrough Station was on the Denaby branch from Wrangbrook Junction - Denaby and Conisbrough. The branch was an early casualty closing to passengers in 1903. Freight traffic was withdrawn from Denaby in 1927 but the line north of Denaby was retained to serve Denaby Main Colliery until its closure in 1968. Sprotbrough Station retained its freight service until 10.8.1964.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HULL & BARNSLEY RAILWAY
The Hull Barnsley and West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company was formed with the backing of Hull Corporation to break the monopoly on dock and rail traffic from Hull; it included a deep water dock (Alexandra Dock) to the east of Hull. The railway never reached Barnsley itself, terminating at Cudworth (junction with the Midland Railway) some four miles short having been vigorously opposed by the NER. At the west end there were branches to Wath and Denaby, and a joint goods line with the Great Central Railway through Doncaster.

It was one of the last new main lines to be built, construction cost double the estimates, due in part to difficulties in cutting and tunneling through unexpectedly hard chalk in the Yorkshire Wolds near Little Weighton.

Although it was constructed primarily for goods traffic to and from the new dock and the South Yorkshire coalfields, fine villa-style passenger stations were provided but though passenger traffic was sparse.

In 1905 the company name was shortened to the Hull and Barnsley Railway which was absorbed into the NER on 1.1.1923

The branches were first to lose their passenger service with the Denaby branch closing in 1903, the Wath branch in 1929. The main line was gradually run down from the early 1930's. Closure came in stages from 1932 with closure of the line between Cudworth and Howden. South Howden lost its passenger service from 1.8.1955. The line between Wrangbrook and Little Weighton was closed on 6.4.1959 and the Little Weighton to Springhead lost its goods service on 3.7.1964.

Today only the high level goods line around Hull and a short sections serving Drax power station remain in use.

Other web sites: For a more detailed history and maps see Hull & Barnsley Railway Stock Fund web site

To see the other stations on the Hull Barnsley & West Riding Junction Railway click on the station name: Hull Cannon Street, Beverley Road, Springhead Halt,
Willerby & Kirk Ella, Little Weighton, North Cave,
South Cave, Sandholme, South Howden, Kirk Smeaton & Pickburn

The following stations on this line are not featured, if you have information on the present state of these stations and photographs we would like to hear from you. North Eastrington and most stations west to Cudworth.


Sprotbrough Station in the early 20th Century
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection




Sprotbrough Station in 1968
Photo by John Law from his UK & Elsewhere Photos web site


Sprotbrough Station in February 2006
Photo by Andy Whitta


Early 20th C

2006

2006

2006

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Mark Dyson]


Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 10:00:45 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations