THE HAWTHORNS GALLERY 1

[Source: Terry Callaghan]


Football fans from the first train to use the station depart in their droves to watch West Bromwich play Birmingham City on Christmas Day 1931. The brass band, who greeted the arrival, has taken refuge up the embankment.


An ex-GWR 51xx Class 2-6-2T Prairie Tank passes the single branch, Old Hill direction, platform in July 1955.


Looking in the Wolverhampton direction from under the Middlemore Road overbridge, although the platform edge looks to be in good condition weeds are taking over the platform surface.
Photo from the John Mann collection



The disused platform, Birmingham direction, on the branch from Old Hill; the simple station nameboard seems to have escaped the attention of souvenir hunters.
Photo from the Alan Young collection


Looking in the Wolverhampton direction along the up main line, the station and the
rails appear to be little used.
Photo from the John Mann collection

A view back in the opposite direction from the previous photo. The Tilley lamp holders are still evident on the platform although the station is beginning to look distinctly neglected.
Photo from the John Mann collection


The GWR type 7d box located north of the main lines was described as Handsworth Junction box and controlled movements along the main line as well as the branch to Old Hill.
Photo from the John Mann collection


Looking in the Birmingham direction along the full extent of the two platforms situated on the main line, their rudimentary construction is evident.
Photo from the John Mann collection


The single platform seen from the Halfrods Lane overbridge with the junction signal in the off position for a train travelling in the Old Hill direction.
Photo from the John Mann collection


Looking back towards the main line along the branch platform.
Photo from the John Mann collection

To see more pictures of The Hawthorns click here

To return to the main page click here

 

 

 

[Source: Terry Callaghan]



Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 07:54:27 BST
© 2004-2017 Disused Stations