Station Name: TILBURY MARINE

[Source: Dave Marden]


Date opened: After 1886. Refurbished by LMS as Tilbury Marine 15.5.1927
Location: Along the east side of the now infilled Tidal Basin.
Company on opening: London & St Katharine Dock Company
Date closed to passengers: 1.5.1932
Date closed completely: 1.5.1932
Company on closing: London Midland & Scottish Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Essex
OS Grid Ref: TQ640751
Date of visit: Not visited

Notes: From the mid 1800s the dock building boom in London sparked intense rivalry between the various companies who fought to provide bigger and deeper facilities to accommodate the increasing size of ships. The Royal Albert Dock, built by the London & St Katharine Dock Company, had opened in 1880 and stolen much business from the East & West India Dock Company’s quays at Poplar, whose owners elected to build new docks at Tilbury, where there was already a railway terminal belonging to the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway.

Unfortunately, problems with construction and conflicts with contractors saw the Dock Company almost bankrupted by the time the docks had been completed in 1886. Tilbury had both open and enclosed docks and built its own railway terminal alongside the docks’ tidal basin. This was sited at what became Berth 29. The terminal also provided a high quality hotel connected by a siding to the station; but initial business at both the docks and the hotel was poor, and the hotel closed within a year, standing empty for generations.

The new docks would be linked to the railway, allowing passengers and goods to be transported speedily to and from the capital by train, thus taking hours off the normal shipping route. Trains arriving at the exchange sidings would be taken over by dock engines and hauled to the quayside, and vice versa.

After Tilbury Docks came under the ownership of the Port of London Authority in 1909 the terminal continued to serve boat trains. In conjunction with the LMS it was refurbished with first class accommodation as ‘Tilbury Marine’ for a new ferry service to the continent which ran from 13 May 1927. The railway company hired the booking hall and issued its own tickets to inland or overseas destinations.


On 16 May 1930, again in partnership with the LMS, the PLA opened a new floating landing stage adjacent to Tilbury Riverside station and this proved to be the death knell for Tilbury Marine which appears to have seen little use afterwards. The ferry service ceased operation on 1 May 1932 and, after suffering bomb damage in WWII, Tilbury Marine never reopened to passengers. The adjacent Tilbury Hotel was also completely destroyed in an air raid.


Main line trains continued to run to the floating terminal but occasional boat trains were allowed over the PLA tracks to the various quays at Tilbury Docks. As at the Royal Docks, these were subject to having a PLA pilot on board during their visit. Although the floating terminal is still very much in use by shipping, the station at Tilbury Riverside closed to passengers on 30 November 1992 and those wishing to avail themselves of railway transport must now make their way to Tilbury Town station.

RS 3296 'Nestor' (PLA No.24) at Tilbury Marine with a boat train from Liverpool Street on 26 March 1910. Trains were taken in and out by railway company locos and PLA engines assembled the rolling stock in-between journeys.
P
hoto from Dave Marden collection


1887 1:2,500 OS map

1940 1:2,500 OS map

Tilbury Marine station looking south-west c.1930s.
Photo from John Mann collection

Tilbury Hotel seen from Gravesend. The Tilbury Marine passenger terminal is seen behind the hotel.


Tilbury Marine station looking south-west in 1949. The passenger terminal is at the
far end of the platform.
Photo from Fox Photos

Recent aerial view showing the site of Tilbury Marine station (the car park on the right) The wall running diagonally across the picture marks the edge of the now infilled tidal basin - compare with
the maps above.


 

 

 

[Source: Dave Marden]




Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 15:17:54 GMT
© 1998-2011 Disused Stations