|Notes: Tinkers Green Halt was opened by the Great Western Railway on the former Cambrian line between Oswestry and Whitchurch on the 16th October 1939. The halt opened to serve a military training camp at Park Hall that had been used in the Great War, and which was reactivated at the start of the WW2. The camp was a short walk from the station.
operated according to special working instructions which allowed trains to return to Oswestry without having passed all the way through the single line section to Whittington.
|The station was provided with a simple single platform and a goods siding that pre-dated the station. There was a small timber shelter on the platform and a timber booking office at one end of the platform. All ordinary passenger services, seven in each direction, called at the Halt but an addition auto-train also shuttled backwards and forwards to Oswestry. These were
and the line it served were transferred to the London Midland region in the same year. On the 18th January 1965 Tinkers Green Halt closed along with the line.
|After the war the Park Hall Camp remained open for National Service recruits. The halt likewise stayed open. In January 1948 it became part of the Nationalised British Railways Western Region. By the late 1950s competition from road transport had reduced services and the line was recommended for closure in the Beeching report of 1963. The station
Today nothing remains to show that a station ever existed at this location other than a single gatepost..
Source: Stanley Jenkins, Steam Days Magazine, December 2008. Tickets from Michael Stewart
To see other stations on the Oswestry - Whitchurch line click on the station name: Whitchurch STILL OPEN, Fenn's Bank, Bettisfield, Welshampton, Ellesmere, Frankton, Whittington High Level & Oswestry