Station Name: WHITCHURCH
|Location:||North side of Waymills (B5398)|
|Company on opening:||London & North Western Railway|
|Date closed to passengers:||Still open|
|Date closed completely:||Still open|
|Company on closing:||Still open|
|Present state:||Station much altered from its original form.|
|OS Grid Ref:||SJ550414|
|Date of visit:||21.2.2009|
Notes: Whitchurch station was opened by the LNWR on the 2nd September 1858. The station was located on the companies Shrewsbury to Crewe line. Initially it is likely that the station had only two platforms. Initially the station was named Whitchurch but at some time 'Salop' was added to the name to avoid confusion with Whitchurch in Hampshire; this was later dropped.
On the 1st of October 1872 the LNWR opened a direct line from Whitchurch to Chester. This line joined the Shrewsbury to Crewe line to the north of Whitchurch station. Initially Chester trains used a single road bay platform sandwiched between the Crewe bound platform and a high wall.
Main line train services operated from Crewe and points further north to Shrewsbury and South Wales. Main line services also operated onto the Cambrian network which ultimately stretched all the way to the mid Wales coast. Local services operated to Shrewsbury, Crewe, Oswestry and Chester.
At the grouping in 1923 the Shrewsbury to Crewe and the Chester direct lines became part of the LMS network. The line to Oswestry became part of the GWR. Even after nationalization in 1948 this situation persisted with the LMS lines becoming part of British Railways Midland Region and the Oswestry line was allocated to the Western Region.
Today the station has only two platform faces with one of the island platform faces now being out of use. A footbridge still connects the two platforms. The station buildings were demolished many years ago. The train service is provided by Arriva Trains Wales and the station is now unstaffed.
A single road engine shed was provided alongside the station on 1st October 1872. This was replaced by a new four road brick shed in 1883. This remained in use until September 1957 when the Waverton - Whitchurch line was closed. It was later used as a wagon shop but has subsequently been demolished.