Notes: The station was situated on the Grand Junction Railway
which opened between Crewe and Chester on 1.10.1840. It is
assumed to have opened with the line in 1840 although there
are no detailed timetables until June 1842. The station was
opened as Black Dog and was later renamed Waverton.
In 1898 the Duke of Westminster had a more substantial replacement
station built 41 chains further to the west. The original
Waverton Station closed and was probably demolished soon after.
Certainly there is no evidence of it today.
To see other stations on the
Crewe - Chester line click on the station name: Worleston,
Castle & Tarporley, Tattenhall
& Waverton 2nd.