Station Name: CALVELEY

[Source: Paul Wright]




Date opened: 1.10.1840
Location: Under the A51 road bridge
Company on opening: Grand Junction Railway
Date closed to passengers: 7.3.1960
Date closed completely: 2.11.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Chester bound platform is still extant and a remnant of the Crewe platform..
County: Cheshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ592588
Date of visit: 28.5.2006

Notes: The station was situated on the Grand Junction Railway which opened between Crewe and Chester on 1.10.1840. It is assumed to have opened with the line in 1840 although there are no detailed timetables until June 1842; it was originally called Highwayside but had been renamed Calveley by 1845.

Calverley had two platforms with the main facilities being located on the Crewe bound platform. Its platforms stretched under the A49 road bridge. The station would have been served by local services and some longer distance trains. The Shropshire Union Canal runs close to the station on its south side and warehouse facilities were provided for the transfer of goods.

The station closed to passengers on 7.3.1960 with its goods service maintained until 2.11.1964. After that date a private siding remained in use.

Today the line remains busy with local and long distance services and the Chester bound platform can still be clearly seen. A small section of the Crewe platform ramp at the east end can also be seen.

To see other stations on the Crewe - Chester line click on the station name: Worleston, Beeston Castle & Tarporley, Tattenhall, Waverton 1st
& Waverton 2nd.


LMS Black 5 44829 hauls a southbound train through the closed Calveley station in August 1963. At this time the station was still open for goods traffic. The siding is seen on the left.
Photo by Stan Clabon



Calveley Station looking west in May 1977
Copyright photo by Nigel Mundy

Calveley Station in May 2006
P
hoto by Paul Wright


2006

2006

2006

2006

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:01:25 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations