Tattenhall Road; because another station called Tattenhall,
located closer to the village was opened on that date. The
station reverted to its original name on closure of Tattenhall
on the Whitchurch line in 1957.
|Notes: The station was situated on the Grand Junction Railway
which opened between Crewe and Chester on 1.10.1840. It is
assumed to have opened with the line in 1840 although there
are no detailed timetables until June 1842. Prior to opening
the station was known as Crows Nest but when it opened it
was called Tattenhall . On 1.8.1872 the station was
The station was located about one mile north of the village
of Tattenhall. It had two platforms with a substantial brick
building on the Chester direction side. The Crewe to Chester
line became a busy route linking Crewe with Holyhead. However
Tattenhall Road was served mainly by local services.
long distance services; the station building is still extant
and in use as a private residence.
|The line had had five stations in all but three of them had
closed by the mid 1960's. The last two to go were Tattenhall
and Beeston Castle and Tarporley ; they both closed goods
on 4.1.1965 and to passengers on the 18.4.1966.
Today the line is still open for traffic serving local and
To see other stations on the
Crewe - Chester line click on the station name: Worleston,
Castle & Tarporley, Waverton
& Waverton 2nd.