Notes: The station was situated on the Grand Junction Railway
which opened between Crewe and Chester on 1.10.1840. It is
assumed to have opened with the line in 1840 although there
are no detailed timetables until June 1842; it was originally
called Highwayside but had been renamed Calveley by 1845.
Situated a short distance from the famous Beeston Castle
and about 1 mile south of the village of Tarporley the station
was originally called Beeston, 'Castle' being added on 1.10.1868
and '& Tarporley' being added in January 1873.
The station was situated on an embankment. At road level
there was a substantial brick built building with a canopy
which covered part of the approach road. The station had two
platforms linked by a subway, both of which had wooden waiting
facilities. Beeston has a long established cattle market and
the station had facilities for the transport of animals.
The station was served by a mixture of local and more long
distance trains. When the Crewe to Chester line opened it
had had five stations. By the middle of the 1960's only Beeston
Castle & Tarporley and Tattenhall remained. They both
closed goods on 4.1.1965 and to passengers on the 18.4.1966.
Today the line is still open for traffic serving local and
long distance services. Much can still be seen at Beeston
including the stone setts from the station entrance, the Crewe
platform and sections of the Chester platform.
To see other stations on the
Crewe - Chester line click on the station name: Worleston,
Waverton 1st &