Station Name: TWEEDMOUTH

[Source: Alan Young]


Tweedmouth station Gallery 2: Late 1930s - c1960


Tweedmouth station circa late 1930s. K3 class 2-6-0 No.1308 is entering Tweedmouth up yard from the north while Sentinel railcar No.2217 ‘Royal Charlotte’ is standing at the down platform on a Kelso branch working. No.1308 was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley and built for the LNER in 1934 by Armstrong Whitworth at their works in Scotswood (Newcastle upon Tyne). Later numbered 1921 by the LNER and 61921 by BR, the loco was withdrawn from 31B, March shed, on 25 July 1961 and cut up at BR Doncaster works the following October. The railcar was one of 80 bought by the LNER from Sentinel Waggon Works, Shrewsbury. This one was built in August 1929 and disposed of in October 1946.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group.

Tweedmouth railwaymen identities and date unknown. Alistair Turnbull is on the left.
Photo from Sheila Robb from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group


Tweedmouth yard is seen in late summer 1948. Piling is being readied to reinstate the
ECML north of Berwick.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group


An oblique aerial view of Tweedmouth station in April 1949, looking north. The Newcastle & Berwick Railway station building is seen centre-left, the single-storey offices and waiting facilities stretching along the down platform, and the two-storey former Station Hotel set at right angles to them on the extreme left. The forecourt is shared with the coal depot, and sidings on which coal and livestock wagons are standing can be seen; the crane to service these sidings is at the lower right corner of the image. The East Coast main line widens to four tracks through the passenger station, and on the far side of these tracks the up platform can be seen; its platform roofing, installed in 1906 when the original trainshed was dismantled, is conspicuous and complements the roofing on the down platform. Tweedmouth possessed an extensive goods yard, part of which is visible beyond the passenger station. Click here for a wider view showing the station and yard.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd

This undated view at Tweedmouth shows LNER J71 class No.8284. The Worsdell-designed loco was built by the NER in March 1900 at Darlington works. At nationalisation in 1948 the loco was housed at 52C, Blaydon shed. BR renumbered her 68284, and withdrew her on 31 October 1955 from 53A, Hull Dairycotes shed, to be cut up at Darlington Works, North Road, probably in 1956.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group


Ex-North British Reid-designed 4-4-2T No.67472 is seen on a St Boswells to Berwick passenger train at Tweedmouth. The loco was built in July 1913 for the NBR by the Yorkshire Engine Company, Sheffield. Originally numbered 265, the LNER renumbered the loco 9265 then 7472, and BR added the ‘6’ prefix. At the time of this photo the loco was probably based at 64G, Hawick shed. On 30 April 1956 she was withdrawn (from 64E, Polmont) to be cut up at BR’s Kilmarnock works c1956.
Photo by G H Robin from Mitchell Library, Glasgow


Thompson-designed Class B1 4-6-0 No.61322 is seen at the up platform of Tweedmouth c1950s. The loco was built for the LNER at the North British Locomotive Company works in Glasgow in February 1947, numbered 1132 and allocated to 61A Kittybrewster shed (Aberdeen). Carrying her BR number 61322 she was withdrawn from 62A, Thornton Junction shed (Fife), on 2 September 1966 and cut up the following month by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd, Faslane, Dunbartonshire.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group


Tweedmouth, looking south-east from the down platform in July 1954, as D30 No.62424 ‘Claverhouse’ is marshalling empty stock for a return excursion to Peebles from Tweedmouth, where the passengers were given the opportunity to enjoy the beach at Spittal. The up platform, seen in the background, has a glazed verandah supported by the screen wall which originally supported part of the trainshed. The running-in nameboard was installed by the LNER. The 4-4-0 loco was built for the North British Railway and was originally numbered 415, then in LNER ownership 9415 and later2424. She was withdrawn from 64A, St Margarets shed (Edinburgh), on 31 August 1957 and cut up the following December at BR Kilmarnock works.
Photo by C J B Sanderson


A cattle train probably heading for the auction mart at Kelso or St Boswells is seen at Tweedmouth circa 1950s. The Reid-designed C15 (later C3) 4-4-2T was built in May 1912 by the Yorkshire Engine Company, Sheffield, for the North British Railway who allocated it the number 122. In LNER days shed she carried the number 9122 and later 7475, to which BR added a ‘6’ prefix. On 30 June 1965 she was withdrawn from 64G, Hawick shed, to be cut up the following September at BR Kilmarnock works.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group


In this circa 1950s view No.60154 ‘Bon Accord’ heads a goods train through Tweedmouth station. The Peppercorn-designed A1 4-6-2 was built at BR Doncaster works in September 1949. She was withdrawn on 4 October 1965 from 50B, Leeds Neville Hill shed, then cut up the following month by T W Ward, Beighton, Sheffield.
Photo from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group

J25 No.65727 stands just south-east of the passenger station at Tweedmouth circa 1950s. The Newcastle & Berwick Railway’s terrace of enginemen’s cottages is in the background. The Worsdell-designed 0-6-0 was built at the North Eastern Railway’s Gateshead works in November 1903. She carried the numbers 2142 and, later, 5727 in the LNER years. Withdrawn from 52F, North Blyth shed, on 31 January 1961 the loco was cut up the following month at BR Darlington Works, North Road.


Some details of the north-west end of Tweedmouth station’s up platform circa 1960. The end of the verandah and the wooden end-screen, painted in BR(NE) ‘Oriental Blue’ and off-white and the LNER running-in nameboard in BR(NE) tangerine livery can be seen.
Photo from Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group

Click here for Tweedmouth station Gallery 3:
June 1957 - July 1961

 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]



Last updated: Thursday, 28-Dec-2017 22:22:55 GMT
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations