[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 1.5.1907
Location: On the north side of Oxford Road (A4020), east of its junction with Sanderson Road
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.9.1939
Date closed completely: 24.2.1964
Company on closing: Great Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Middlesex
OS Grid Ref: TQ053846
Date of visit: February 1968, March 1969 & July 1974

Notes: It was never intended to build a terminus at Uxbridge High Street. Early in the 20th century the GWR proposed to extend the West Drayton branch in a loop around the west side of Uxbridge to a junction with their line at Denham. The existing station at Uxbridge (Vine Street) was to be closed with a new station built on the west side of the town. Following local discussions a route running close to the town centre was authorised in 1899. This included a station on the north side of Uxbridge High Street from where the line would cross the road on an iron girder bridge and then run on an embankment and in a cutting round to the West Drayton branch close to Uxbridge Station

Work started in 1900 but at the same time the Metropolitan Railway was also extending into Uxbridge with their station at Belmont Road opening in 1904. As a result of this, the GWR revised its plans and the line was for the time being terminated at Uxbridge High Street. From here a short length of viaduct took the line to a two span iron girder bridge over the High Street (now Oxford Road). Here work stopped, never to be restarted.

Uxbridge High Street was built as a temporary wooden structure on an embankment on the north west side of the line. The platform level building which contained waiting rooms and toilets overhung the viaduct. It had a pitched roof which, on one side formed a canopy over the full width of the platform. A street level building was provided beneath the viaduct with a covered wooden stairway up to the platform. A signal box was provided at the north end of the platform.

Uxbridge High Street Station opened on 1st May 1907 but was immediately a failure attracting little passenger traffic. Initially the station had no freight facilities until 1914 when a small goods yard with two sidings was built at street level to the west of the station. The same year powers to extend the line southwards were allowed to lapse.

Despite the new freight service the branch did not fare well. It was singled in 1916 and the station was closed on 1 January.1917 as a wartime economy measure. It reopened on 3 May 1920 but only with a weekday service. In 1922 the bridge over the High Street was removed although the shorter span over the street level building remained in place until the 1950's. In 1937 the platform was shortened as the line was now only served by single car auto-trains running between Uxbridge and Gerards Cross. Once again the station was closed as a economy measure at the start of WW2 but after the war it never reopened.

Despite it's wooden construction the the platform and station building survived for many years in a very depilated state and they were eventually demolished in 1955, the track into the station was lifted the following year. The freight service continued until 1964. The embankment running north from the station was demolished in 1967 but the short length of viaduct survived until at least the mid 1970's. The street level building survived until c1970. The site has now been completely cleared and is occupied by 106 Oxford Road, which is now part of  Bucks New University. A recent extension to Sanderson Road now follows the former line of the embankment to the north and the area is awaiting further development. Much of the track bed to the north is now a nature trail.

Further reading: GWR Disused Stations in Greater London by J.E. Connor - Connor & Butler 2000 ISBN 0 947699 31 7

Tickets from Michael Stewart. Bradshaw from Nick Catford

Uxbridge High Street Station Gallery 1:
1907 - 26 September 1954

Uxbridge High Street station in 1907. The line originally extended across High Street on a two span iron girder bridge in anticipation of the line being later extended to join the Uxbridge (Vine Street) line. The street level booking office was located under the bridge with covered stairs up to the platform.

1913 1:2,500 OS map. The viaduct is seen running across High Street as it was originally intended that the liner would be extended to join the GWR's Uxbridge (Vine Street) line. A this time the station had no goods yard

1934 1:2,500 OS map. The viaduct has been cut back to the north side of the High Street. A low level goods yard with two sidings is seen to the west of the embankment.

Uxbridge High Street station looking towards the buffers shortly after opening.

Uxbridge High Street station in 1907. The signal box is seen at the end of the platform.

Uxbridge High Street Station in 1907 - the station entrance building can be seen below the bridge.

The street level entrance to Uxbridge High Street station c1929.
Photo from John Mann collection

Uxbridge High Street station seen during the Londoin Railway Society Diesel Excursion on 26 September 1954. An AEC diesel railcar is seen in the platform.
Photo from Mike Morant collection

Click here for Uxbridge High Street Station Gallery 2:
26 September 1954 - March 2010

Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 23-May-2017 09:38:18 CEST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations