1900 - 1970


[Source: Paul Wright]
 
Joseph Robinson, a Widnes resident and a goods train guard for the LNWR, was a keen amateur photographer. He took this picture of Widnes station staff and a train crew
in the early years of the 20th century.
Photo from Mark Aldred collection


A St Helens to Ditton Junction service stands at the Widnes down platform in 1951, the last year that the service operated. The train is being pushed by an ex-LMS Ivatt 2-6-2 tank locomotive number 41285. In 1951 this locomotive was based at Sutton Oak depot which was responsible for the
'Ditton Dodger' working. A goods train is heading east.


The eastern end of Widnes station in 1957. It will be noted that the gas lamp standards carry 'Widnes' totems which must have been installed very recently.
Photo by H C Casserley


An ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 locomotive is seen heading east through the closed Widnes South station in 1968. The line was still very busy at this time as an important freight artery between Merseyside and the Manchester area.
Photo by Graham Earle

Widnes South station looking west from the down platform in 1968. About to pass through the station heading east on coal empties is a BR class 9F locomotive.
Photo by Graham Earle

Looking east along the down platform at Widnes South station on 2 January 1968. A coal train is seen heading east. Widnes Number 7 signal box is seen in the distance.
Copyright photo from the Halton Borough Council collection


To return to the main page click here

To see photos of Widnes South in the period 1970 to 1990 click here

To see photos of Widnes South in the period 1990 to 2010 click here

To see photos of Widnes South in the period 2010 - Present click here

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 09:01:43 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations