Station Name: YNS

[Source: Les Fifoot & Paul Wright]


Date opened: January 1872
Location: North side of lane at Ynys.
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 7.12.1964
Date closed completely: 7.12.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Crossing keepers cottage extant in use as a private dwelling. Station demolished.
County: Caernarvonshire
OS Grid Ref: SH466419
Date of visit: 25.5.2012

Notes: Ynys was situated on the Menai Bridge – Afon Wen line which opened in stages between 1852 and 1871. On 29 July 1862 the Carnarvonshire Railway (CR) was authorised to build a line between Caernarfon and Afon Wen and by October 1866 it was mostly complete and was inspected, but its opening was not approved until 2 September 1867 by which time all work was finished.

normally accessed by freight trains travelling from Afon Wen to Caernarvon as required. A small 4-lever frame was located on the platform to control the signals, which were interlocked with the hand-operated level crossing gates.

Passenger services ran between Bangor and Afon Wen with some trains continuing beyond Afon Wen. By December 1895 Ynys had three up and four down trains on weekdays with an extra train in each direction on Mondays. There was also one train in each direction on Sundays.

By July 1922 there were six up and four down trains on Monday-to-Saturday as seen in the table below. There were no Sunday trains.

Up Trains July 1922 Destination Down Trains July 1922 Destination
7.13am Bangor 9.58am Afon Wen
11.15am Bangor 12.34pm Afon Wen
4.19pm Bangor 6.06pm Afon Wen
5.49pm Bangor 8.17pm Afon Wen
7.14pm Bangor    
9.17pm Carnarvon    

On 1 January 1923 Ynys became part of the London Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS). By 1928 they were running xx up and xxx down trains. The service was the same in the summer of 1932.

With the outbreak of the Second World War an emergency timetable was introduced from 11 September 1939, and Ynys had only three trains in each direction on Monday-to-Saturday. The service was improved from 1 January 1940 when six trains ran in each direction on Monday-to-Saturday.

On 1 January 1948 Ynys became part of the British Railways London Midland Region. The summer 1948 timetable showed seven up and seven down trains on Monday-to-Saturday as shown in the table below.

Up Trains Summer 1948 Destination Down Trains Summer 1948 Destination
8.23am (Saturdays Excepted) Bangor 7.04am Afon Wen
8.27am (Saturdays Only ) Llandudno Junction 10.05am Afon Wen
11.10am (Saturdays Excepted) Bangor 1.24pm Afon Wen
11.30am (Saturdays Only ) Manchester Exchange 3.59pm (Saturdays Excepted) Afon Wen
4.08pm (Saturdays Excepted) Bangor 4.26pm (Saturdays Only ) Afon Wen
4.15pm (Saturdays Only ) Bangor 5.17pm (Saturdays Excepted) Afon Wen
5.27pm Bangor 5.50pm (Saturdays Only ) Afon Wen
7.22pm Bangor 6.37pm (Saturdays Excepted) Afon Wen
8.56pm Bangor 6.44pm (Saturdays Only ) Afon Wen
10.06pm Bangor 9.10pm Afon Wen

In 1939 Billy Butlin built a holiday camp at Penychain on the former Cambrian line to the west of Afon Wen. Due to the war it did not open for holidaymakers until the summer season of 1947 although it was used during the war by the Royal Navy. The opening of the holiday camp brought a lot of extra traffic in the form of holiday specials to the Menai Bridge – Afon Wen line during the summer months, and the specials were much longer than routine service trains.

Scheduled passenger services had improved by the mid 1950s. The summer timetable for 1957 showed eight up and seven down trains Monday-to-Saturday as seen in the table below. There were many other trains that did not call at Ynys..

Up Trains Summer 1957 Destination Down Trains Summer 1957 Destination
8.18am (Saturdays Excepted) Bangor 6.39am Pwllheli
8.27am (Saturdays Only ) Llandudno Junction 10.06am Afon Wen
11.05am (Saturdays Excepted) Bangor 12.33pm Pwllheli
11.27am (Saturdays Only ) Manchester Exchange 1.18pm (Saturdays Excepted) Pwllheli
2.21pm Bangor 1.47pm (Saturdays Only ) Pwllheli
4.07pm (Saturdays Excepted) Llandudno Junction 3.56pm (Saturdays Excepted) Pwllheli
4.08pm (Saturdays Only ) Bangor 4.21pm (Saturdays Only ) Afon Wen
5.28pm (Saturdays Only ) Bangor 6.47pm Pwllheli (Afon Wen on Saturdays)
5.47pm (Saturdays Excepted) Bangor 8.05pm (Saturdays Excepted) Afon Wen
7.20pm Bangor 8.19pm (Saturdays Only ) Afon Wen
8.20pm (Saturdays Excepted) Bangor    
8.29pm (Saturdays Only ) Bangor    
8.49pm (Saturdays Excepted) Caernarvon    
8.59pm (Saturdays Only ) Caernarvon    

The station always presented a smart appearance, the buildings were kept clean, and the level crossing gates were always well painted.

DMUs were introduced onto many services from 1958. The line remained busy in the summer months into the 1960s but during the winter period it was very quiet. The Reshaping of British Railways report of 1963 (The ‘Beeching’ Report) recommended that the line between Caernarfon and Afon Wen be closed completely. This was despite the still very heavy holiday traffic in the summer. Interestingly in 1964 steam-hauled trains were used on most services with DMUs being sent elsewhere. The line between Caernarfon and Afon Wen closed completely on 7 December 1964.

Although the station never saw much business, the rail service was replaced with a bus service provided by Crosville Motor Sevices Ltd. This survived for several seasons before being withdrawn.

The line through Ynys was not lifted immediately, and track was still in situ in 1968. The station platforms survived in a derelict condition until the early 1980s. In May 2012 the stationmaster’s house was extant and in use as a private dwelling.

Timetable from Chris Totty, tickets from Michael Stewart route map drawn by Alan Young

Sources:

To see the other stations on the Menai Bridge - Afonwen line click on the station name: Menai Bridge, Treborth, Port Dinorwic (1st), Port Dinorwic (2nd), Griffiths Crossing, Caernarvon, Carnarvon Pant, Dinas, Llanwnda, Groeslon, Penygroes, Pant Glas, Brynkir, Llangybi, Chwilog & Afon Wen


Ynys station looking north-east along the platform in June 1956. The simple facilities at Ynys are clearly illustrated. The building nearest to the photographer was the booking office. Beyond it can be seen the waiting room.
P
hoto by H C Casserley


Ynys station shown on a 1900 map.

Ynys station in the early 1960s. The station was a very basic facility. The lever frame which controlled the signals for the level crossing can be seen to the left of the booking office.
Photo from John Mann collection



Looking south-west at Ynys station in the early 1960s.
Photo from John Mann collection


A Bangor DMU arrives at Ynys station in 1964. The station was looking very shabby by this time.
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas


Ynys station looking north-east after closure in 1965.
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas


When this view was taken at Ynys in the summer of 1968 the track was still in situ and the station was in much the same condition as it had been when the last train departed in December 1964.
P
hoto by Ken Robinson


Looking north-east at Ynys station in the early 1970s. The station house can be seen to the left.
Photo from John Mann collection



The station buildings at Ynys seen in April 1973.
P
hoto by John Mann


Ynys station in the 1970s looking south-west.
Copyright photo from the Les Fifoot collection


Ynys station in the Spring of 1981 seen from the south side of the level crossing. The station house that stood beside the line adjacent to the crossing had become a private dwelling.
P
hoto by Alan Young

Looking north-east at the site of Ynys station on 25 May 2012. The garage occupied the trackbed at a point that would have been adjacent to the station booking office (to its left).
P
hoto by Paul Wright
Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source:Les Fifoot & Paul Wright]




Last updated: Saturday, 27-May-2017 07:27:33 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations