Station Name: CARNARVON PANT

[Source: Les Fifoot & Paul Wright]


Date opened: 2.9.1867
Location: South side of River Seiont on the west side of Pant Road.
Company on opening: Carnarvonshire Railway
Date closed to passengers: 3.1.1871
Date closed completely: 3.1.1871
Company on closing: London & North Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Caernarvonshire
OS Grid Ref: SH480612
Date of visit: 28.9.2012

Notes: Carnarvon Pant was the northern terminus of the Carnarvonshire Railway (CR) which linked Carnarvon with Afon Wen. Carnarvon Pant was one mile south of Carnarvon, and a horse-drawn omnibus provided a connection between the town and station.

In March 1869 the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) absorbed the line. By 1869 the LNWRwas also operating the Menai Bridge to Caernarfon route and a line from Llanberis to Caernarfon which also had its own temporary terminus.

The Carnarvon Town Line opened to goods services on 5 August 1870 and for passengers in January 1871. With the opening of the new line Afon Wen services were able to run to Carnarvon station on the 1852 line, and Pant was closed. It was likely to have been demolished shortly after, and no trace of it could be found in 2012. The line through the site of Pant station closed to all traffic in December 1964 and was lifted after July 1969. In 1997 rails were once again laid through the site as part of the Welsh Highland Railway.

Sources:

To see the other stations on the Menai Bridge - Afon Wen line click on the station name: Menai Bridge, Treborth, Port Dinorwic (1st), Port Dinorwic (2nd), Griffiths Crossing, Caernarvon, Dinas, Llanwnda, Groeslon, Penygroes, Pant Glass, Brynkir, Ynys, Llangybi, Chwilog & Afon Wen

See also: Nantlle

See also feature: The Carnarvon Town Line

Looking north at the site of Carnarvon Pant station on 28 September 2012. The house in the centre of the picture was a railway property and possibly dated to the time of the station.
P
hoto by Paul Wright


On the south side of the level crossing at Pant there is stone structure that may have been the Carnarvon Pant station platform. It can be seen to the left of the footpath. To the right can be seen the line of the Welsh Highland Railway which opened in October 1997.
P
hoto by Les Fifoot

Carnarvon Pant station had a goods shed and a turntable. The only space available for such facilities is seen in this view looking north on 28 September 2012. Pant Road can be glimpsed to the right. The line seen in the view is the Welsh Highland Railway between Caernarfon and Porthmadog. It follows the course of the original line and opened at this point in October 1997.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

The site of Carnarvon Pant station looking south on 28 September 2012.
P
hoto by Les Fifoot

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Les Fifoot & Paul Wright]




Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:06:26 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations