Notes: Port Dinorwic 1st station was located on the Menai Bridge – Afon Wen line which opened in stages between 1852 and 1871. The station was originally part of the Bangor & Carnarvon Railway (B&CR) which was incorporated on 20 May 1851 to build a line from the Chester and Holyhead Railway (C&HR) at Menai Bridge to Caernarfon (‘Carnarvon’ at that time). The single-track railway opened to Port Dinorwic for goods on 1 March 1852 and for passengers on 10 March 1852. Services were extended to Carnarvon for passengers on 1 July 1852 and for goods services on 10 August 1852.
in March 1869. In 1867 the B&CR was absorbed into the C&HR.
From January 1871 passenger services were extended southwards from Carnarvon to Afon Wen and Llanberis using a new section of line through Carnarvon that was the last link in the creation of the through route. In 1871 authorisation was given for the doubling of the original B&CR, and work was complete by 1872. In 1874 Port Dinorwic 1st station closed and was replaced with a new station 200yd to the south. The new facility was better located, being closer to the centre of the village. The first station was demolished.
Route map by Alan Young.
To see the other
stations on the Menai Bridge - Afonwen line click on the station
name: Menai Bridge, Treborth, Port Dinorwic (2nd), Griffiths Crossing, Caernarvon, Carnarvon Pant, Dinas, Llanwnda, Groeslon, Penygroes, Pant Glass, Brynkir, Ynys, Llangybi, Chwilog & Afon Wen