Station Name: BAKEWELL

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.8.1862
Location: West side of Station Road (B6408)
Company on opening: Midland Railway
Date closed to passengers: 6.3.1967
Date closed completely: 1.7.1968
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Station building extant, platforms extant but trackbed filled in. The brick wall at the rear of the up platform that once supported the canopy also survives; the marks left by the ridge canopies can clearly be seen on this wall and on the station building. The goods shed is in industrial use amongst other buildings to the north of the station.
County: Derbyshire
OS Grid Ref: SK223690
Date of visit: June 1989, 24.8.2008 & 2.10.2009

Notes: Bakewell Station was situated on what became the Midland Railway’s (MR) main line between Ambergate and Manchester Central.

The citizens of Bakewell had hoped that a railway would have reached them in the 1850s as a line had opened in 1849 between Ambergate and Rowsley. This line was supposed to be the first stage in the creation of a line from Ambergate to Buxton. Objections from a local landowner, the Duke of Rutland, almost stopped any line ever passing through
Bakewell and in the early 1850s it was proposed that a route via Chatsworth be taken instead. Then a period of stagnation set in resulting from the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) and the MR having taken out a joint lease of the MBM&MJR in 1852, and the LNWR wanting to prevent the MR from reaching Manchester.

The citizens of Bakewell wanted a railway as they believed that their town would decline otherwise. They lobbied the Duke of Rutland, who had in the past objected to a railway crossing his land, to change his mind and he did so.

During the 1850s two rival schemes were proposed that would have seen a line created from the Rowsley area to Buxton. This spurred the MR into action, and as there was no objection from the Duke of Rutland over whose land the line would have to pass, a route through Bakewell was selected. The MR submitted its plans which received an act in May 1860.

Bakewell station opened on the 1st of August 1862 when the line had been completed from Rowsley to Hassop. The station was located on the north east side of Bakewell at the top of a steep hill. It was situated on the north side of a road overbridge. The station was provided with a substantial stone single storey building on the west side of the line, on the northbound
platform. The building was provided with extensive first class waiting rooms as it was close to Haddon Hall, the seat of the Duke of Rutland. There were two platforms, both of which had iron and glass canopies which provided shelter for passengers. The platforms were subsequently linked by a cast iron footbridge

The station also had extensive goods facilities which were located to the north of the station, but which were accessed by the same approach road. The goods facilities included stone built offices close to the passenger station and a goods shed to its north, a goods dock behind the down platform and a 5 ton crane. A signal box for controlling access to the goods yard was sited on the down side of the line to the north of the station.

When the station opened it was served by trains that ran between Ambergate and Hassop, but on 1st of June 1863 the line opened all the way to Buxton. On the 1st February 1867 the MR opened its line from Blackwell Mill to New Mills but Trains calling at Bakewell did not travel siuth beyond Derby. This gave the MR a route stretching all the way to Manchester
which it had long desired. Bakewell Station was now part of a main line that stretched from London to Manchester.

By the end of the 19th century Bakewell was served by local trains running between Buxton and Derby as well as by some express services that ran between Manchester Central and London St Pancras. Many shorter workings also served Bakewell. One of the busiest periods for Bakewell station, throughout its existence, was when the Bakewell Show was held.
During this annual event special trains were laid on to Bakewell from many different locations.

In 1923 Bakewell became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS) and although that company found itself with two routes between Manchester and London, the other being the former LNWR route, Bakewell remained as important as it had been in MR days as the line was so busy with passenger and goods services.

In January 1948 Bakewell became part of the nationalised British Railways (London Midland Region). During the 1950s a camping coach was located in one of the goods sidings at Bakewell station which was rented out to holidaymakers. The station was also very popular at this time with Ramblers who travelled in from the big cities to enjoy walks in the local countryside.

In 1960 the famous diesel Pullman which became known as ‘The Blue Pullman’ began run between Manchester Central and London St Pancras, but as it was a fast express service it did not stop at Bakewell. The only trains that stopped at Bakewell at this time, other than the slow trains were, were a Nottingham to Liverpool (later Manchester) train in each direction
(plus the Leicester to Blackpool and return on summer Saturdays). During this time the line was even considered for electrification. It therefore came as a surprise when all of the stations between Matlock and Chinley were earmarked for closure in the 1963 Beeching Report. Bakewell was not included in the Beeching Report. It was subsequently added in a legal notice in The Times of 31st October 1963.

Through freight and parcels services were withdrawn from the line on 3rd October 1966 and Bakewell station closed to passengers on the 6th March 1967; express services through the station were withdrawn from 1st July 1968 when the line from Matlock to Peak Forest Junction was closed completely. Track lifting began in 1969.

Bakewell station has survived closure more or less intact. It has for many years been used by an electronics company called Codel who have retained many of the stations original features. The goods shed is also still standing and in use as part of an industrial estate.

In 1982 the Peak District National Park established the Monsal Trail, a long distance path that uses many miles of the former MR route including the section that passes through Bakewell station. The National Park authorities have put up interpretive boards at Bakewell Station which show how the station used to look and give information about it.

Sources: Lost Railways of Derbyshire by Stan Yorke. Published by Geoffrey Kingscott & The Monsal Trail then and now by Alistair Lofthouse – Ald print.

Other web sites: Peak Rail now providing a regular steam service between Matlock and Rowsley. David Hey's Collection - Transition from BR steam. Includes railway photographer ER Morten's photographic tour from Buxton - Derby.

Eight and a half miles of the Matlock - Buxton line now forms the Monsal Trail starting at Coombs Road Viaduct, one mile southeast of Bakewell and finishing at the head of Chee Dale, about three miles east of Buxton. There is a diversion round the tunnels.

Further reading: Railway from Buxton to Bakewell, Matlock and Ambergate (Scenes from the Past) by JM Bentley, 1992. Railways around Buxton by JM Bentley, 1987.

Additional source Glynn Waite. All tickets from Michael Stewart except 3801 Glynn Waite, route map drawn by Alan Young

To see other stations between Manchester Central & Matlock click on the station name:Manchester Central, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Withington & West Didsbury, Didsbury, Heaton Mersey, Cheadle Heath, Hazel Grove (Midland), Buxworth, Chinley (2nd site) STILLOPEN, Chinley (1st site), Chapel-en-le-Frith Central,
Peak Forest, Cheedale Halt, Buxton (Midland), Blackwell Mill Halt, Millers Dale, Monsal Dale, Great Longstone, Hassop, Rowsley (Second site), Rowsley (First site), Rowsley South PEAK RAIL, Darley Dale,
Matlock Riverside PEAK RAIL & Matlock STILL OPEN.
See also Stockport Tiviot Dale & Stockport Portwood


Bakewell Station looking north from the southbound platform in 1905. A track gang is working on the northbound line.





Bakewell Station looking south in the 1960s. By this date the southbound platform had lost its canopy.
Copyright photo from Tony Harden collection
Bakewell station looking north from the station footbridge in June 1961, the goods yard and signal box are seen beyond the station.
Photo by Ben Brooksbank

North end of Bakewell station and yard in July 1957, the cattle dock is seen on the right.
Photo from Stan Roberts collection/Peak Rail


Looking north at Bakewell Station two years after the track had been lifted. The goods shed can be seen in the middle distance.
Photo by Peter Howie

Bakewell station on a foggy February morning in 1976
P
hoto by Alan Young

Looking north at Bakewell Station in June 1989, industrial units now occupy the goods yard.
Photo by Nick Catford

Bakewell station forecourt in July 1990.
Photo by Martin Potter

Bakewell Station looking south in October 2009
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Click here for more pictures of Bakewell station

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Thursday, 08-Jul-2010 06:04:32 BST
© 1998-2010 Disused Stations