Station Name: BALLACRAINE HALT

[Source: Nick Catford]



Date opened: 1876 & 1927
Location: East side of the A3
Company on opening: Isle of Man Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.7.1879 & 1928
Date closed completely: 1928
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: Demolished - no evidence remains
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC284813
Date of visit: 18.5.2010

Notes: The Isle of Man Railway provided a public halt at Glen Helen to serve the pleasure ground for the summer season in 1876; it was short lived closing on 1st July 1879. A very short lived halt was opened on the site in 1927 for motorcycle races. It is recorded as being in use in July 1927 but appears to have closed at the end of that season. The halt was located on the east side of Ballacraine crossing, originally known as Curragh Road.

No pictures of Glen Helen Halt or the later Ballacraine Halt are know to exist.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Peel by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2002 - ISBN 978 1 901706 88 8
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

To see other stations on the Douglas - Peel line click on the station name:
Quarter Bridge, Union Mills, Crosby, St. Johns & Peel.
See also Knockaloe


The site of Ballacraine Halt in 1974. The crossing keepers building has now been converted for use by walkers on the Steam Heritage Trail which passes through the site.
Photo by J. L. Stevenson


Ballacraine Halt is not shown on any maps and has been inserted here in its assumed position

Looking east at Ballacraine Halt in May 2010 from the site of the level crossing. The Halt was just beyond the gate adjacent to the crossing keepers shelter which has been restored as part of the Peel line Steam Heritage Trail.
Photo by Paul Wright

Looking west at the site of Ballacraine Halt in May 2010. Beyond the gate the line crossed the road by means of a level crossing. The white hut was provided to give shelter to the crossing keeper.
Photo by Paul Wright

An Isle of Man Government interpretive panel at the site of Ballacraine Halt in May 2010. The panel explains the history of the Douglas to Peel line and gives information about the wildlife that can be found along the route.
Photo by Paul Wright


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Thursday, 10-Jun-2010 06:23:44 BST
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations