Station Name: PEEL

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 1.7.1873
Location: At the junction of Station Place and East Quay
Company on opening: Isle of Man Railway
Date closed to passengers: 7.9.1968
Date closed completely: 29.4.1969
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: Although the platforms have been removed, that station buildings survives. It has been incorporated into the House of Manannan heritage centre which opened in 1997.
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC243871
Date of visit: 21.7.2006

Notes: Peel Station opened as the western terminus of the Isle of Man Railways Douglas to Peel line on 1.7.1873. Located alongside the towns Harbour the station was provided with substantial facilities including a large stone built building with canopies a long single island platform giving two platform faces, goods facilities located on the north side of the station. these included three sidings with a goods shed and raised goods bay and a separate raised cattle dock. A loco shed was also provided on the south side of the station.

From the time of its opening the station provided a regular passenger service to Douglas which was 11.5 miles away. From the 23.9.1879 passengers could also reach Ramsey by changing trains at St Johns Station.

During the 20th Century the Isle of Man became a giant holiday camp during the summer months and consequently its railways carried an extremely high volume of passengers. By the second half of the 20th Century though road transport and a decline in summer visitor numbers had started to affect the islands railways.

On the 13.11.1965 Peel Station closed along with the entire Manx rail network due to the condition of the track which had received minimal investment for many years.

The Douglas to Peel line was re-opened following a rescue package on the 3.6.1967. Services once again started running to Douglas.

However the newly launched services did not last very long and Peel Station closed to passengers along with all of the Douglas to Peel line stations on 7.9.1968. A goods service to Ramsey ran from Peel from 13.8.1968 until the 29.4.1969. After this the station site became derelict. In 1973 the track on the Douglas to

Peel line was sold for scrap and lifted between 1974 - 1975.

Today the station site is used for a car park and boat yard. The station building is still extant as described above and many other features remain such as station lamps, the water tower and a signal and short section of track at the eastern end of the site which commemorates the Douglas to Peel line.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Peel by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2002 - ISBN 978 1 901706 88 8
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

Click here for a brief history of the Isle of Man Railways

To see other stations on the Douglas - Peel line click on the station name: Quarter Bridge, Braddan Halt, Union Mills, Crosby, Ballacraine Halt & St. Johns

See also Knockaloe and the Foxdale branch with stations at St. Johns (MGN), Waterfall & Foxdale

Peel Station c.1903
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

No 11 Maitland stands at Peel Station in June 1968. Note the addition of a raised platform not shown in the 1903 picture above
Photo by John Waite from Narrow Gauge Heaven web site

Peel Station in March 1975
hoto by Jon Sabey-Corkindale

Peel Station in July 2006. Although the platforms have been cleared the station building survived. It has been incorporated into the House of Manannan heritage centre which was opened in 1997.
Photo by Paul Wright

Click here for more pictures of Peel Station




[Source: Paul Wright]

Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 08-Jun-2010 06:45:11 BST
© 1998-2010 Disused Stations