Station Name: BRADDAN HALT

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 1897
Location: The north side of the A1 Braddan Bridge.
Company on opening: Isle of Man Railway
Date closed to passengers: 7.9.1968
Date closed completely: 7.9.1968
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: Demolished, the steps from the road bridge are still extant
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC364769
Date of visit: 21.7.2006

Notes: Braddan Station was situated on the Isle of Man Railways 1873 Douglas to Peel Line. It opened in 1897 with one specific purpose. The station was used only on summer Sunday mornings in order to allow passengers to reach the Kirk Braddan Parish Church which held open air services.

The station through which only a single track passed had no raised platform and was reached from road level by a set of steps. It was provided with a simple wooden waiting shelter. Passenger trains would drop off their passengers and then run forward to Union Mills where they would run around using the passing loop. They
would return for their passengers at the end of the church service.

The station closed with the line on the 13.11.1965 only to re-open again on 3.6.1967. Braddan closed permanently along with the Douglas to Peel line on the 7.9.1968. The track through Braddan was lifted between 1974-5. Today a footpath and cycleway passes through the site.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Peel by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2002 - ISBN 978 1 901706 88 8
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

Click here for a brief history of the Isle of Man Railways

To see other stations on the Douglas - Peel line click on the station name: Quarter Bridge, Union Mills, Crosby, Ballacraine Halt, St. Johns & Peel. See also Knockaloe


Ex County Donegal railcars at Braddan Halt with a special taking passengers to an open air church service at Braddan in August 1964.
Photo by D. J. Mitchell copyright Colour-Rail





Braddan Halt in August 1964. This special was taking passengers back from an open air church service. Two trains from Douglas were coupled together to form this return working.
Photo by D. J. Mitchell copyright Colour-Rail

Braddan Halt looking south in August 2006. Taken from a similar viewpoint to the top picture. Note the access steps (painted white) in the top picture, these can still be seen in the 2006 picture.
P
hoto by Paul Wright



Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 08:55:25 BST
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations