Notes: The original Kenyon Junction to Bolton Great Moor Street
opened in stages between 1828 and 1831 had included two steeply
graded inclines that had originally been worked with rope and
stationary engines. By the mid 1840's locomotives were able
to tackle the inclines but they still made for challenging obstacles.
In the 1880's the LNWR decided to realign the line to avoid
the gradients one of which was at Chequrbent. This required
the building of a new station.
||The new line passed under Manchester Road, whereas the original
line crossed at road level. The station was provided with two
platforms connected to the street by steps. The station was
served by trains running between Great Moor Street and points
to the west of Kenyon Junction. By the 1930's over 20 trains
per day operated.
By the 1950's traffic levels had dwindled to six services running
between Bolton and Kenyon Junction or Warrington. Chequerbent
2nd Station closed in 1952 two years before all regular passenger
services along the line ceased in 1954. Freight traffic continued
to be handled at the station until 27.2.1965 and a private siding
remained in use after that date.
Today there is very little to see as the cutting has been partially
filled in. Some concrete bases from the adjacent goods depot
remain, NW of the passenger station site.
To see the other
stations on the Bolton Great Moor Street - Kenyon Junction line
click on the station name: Kenyon
West Leigh, Atherleigh,
Atherton Bag Lane,
Chequerbent 1st, Daubhill
& Daubhill & Bolton
Great Moor Street