Notes: Opened as Bag Lane the station was situated on the Kenyon
Junction to Bolton line which had opened in stages from 1828
to 1831 as the 'Bolton and Leigh Railway'. The first section
of the line from Bolton to Chequerbent opened on 28.8.1828.
The line had been engineered by George Stephenson and it was
one of his locomotives, the Lancashire Witch, that made the
inaugural run. The line had reached Leigh by March 1830 but
it was not until 2.6.1831 when the line had reached Kenyon Junction
on the famous Liverpool and Manchester Railway that passenger
services began. The first passenger run was an excursion from
Bolton to Newton for a horse racing event.
The station was renamed as Atherton before 1847 and again renamed
to Atherton Bag Lane on 2.6.1924.. The station was provided
with two platforms and substantial booking and waiting facilities
on both platforms. The station was served by trains running
between Great Moor Street and points to the west of Kenyon Junction.
By the 1930's over 20 trains per day operated.
By the 1950's traffic levels had dwindled to six services running
between Bolton and Kenyon Junction or Warrington. West Leigh
Station closed to regular passenger services on 27.3.1954. Freight
traffic continued to serve the station until 7.10.1963.
Bag Lane was extended across the trackbed after the railway
was closed. Part of the trackbed remains to the south of the
station site, but new housing covers the trackbed north of the
The only evidence that a railway existed is the presence of
a Railway Hotel, located at the junction of Bag Lane with Railway
To see the other
stations on the Bolton Great Moor Street - Kenyon Junction line
click on the station name: Kenyon
West Leigh, Atherleigh,
Daubhill 1st, Rumworth
& Daubhill & Bolton
Great Moor Street