Station Name: EDENBRIDGE TOWN
|Location:||At the end of Station Approach|
|Company on opening:||London Brighton & South Coast Railway|
|Date closed to passengers:||Still open|
|Date closed completely:||Still open|
|Company on closing:||Still open|
|Present state:||Still open|
|OS Grid Ref:||TQ445466|
|Date of visit:||February 1968, 9.10.1998 & 18.9.03|
Notes: The station was opened as Edenbridge and was renamed
Edenbridge Town on 1.5.1896. Goods facilities were withdrawn
To save operating costs a number of new halts were opened in the south east from 1906 with the introduction of single carriage railmotors fitted with mechanically worked controls to enable them to be hauled or propelled by small tank locomotives. These halts were served only by the railmotors; one of these was at Hurst Green between Oxted and Edenbridge Town. Husrt Green Halt was closed on 12.6.1961 and replaced by a new station on the north side of Greenhurst Lane.
By the 1960's the Beeching era had begun and by 1964 new timetables were introduced making travel difficult with long waits for connections, by now a common ploy to reduce the number of passengers. The railway board wanted to close the line south of Hurst Green Junction to Lewes, together with the branch to Tunbridge Wells West. This met with vigorous opposition from local authorities and private individuals. Eventually the Minister gave way and agreed closure between Uckfield and Lewes from 6th January 1969.
With the closure of the branch from Eridge - Tunbridge Wells West on 8.7.1985, British Rail issued a circular denying rumours of closure south of Hurst Green Junction. Even so a scheme to `Rationalise' and resignal the line was undertaken and some sections were changed to single track but the line remains open.
Route map drawn by Alan Young.
|Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 10:14:58 BST||
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations