Station Name: ELLERBY (1st station)

[Source: Mark Dyson]

Date opened: First in timetable September 1864
Location: On the south side of Skirlaugh Road
Company on opening: Hull and Hornsea Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.7.1902
Date closed completely: 7.4.1959
Company on closing: North Eastern Railway
Present state: Station building/house and platform are extant. The house, which has been extended, is a private residence.
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: TA162384
Date of visit: May 2003

Notes: Ellerby was a market station with trains only stopping on Tuesdays. After closure to passengers in 1902 the station remained in use as Ellerby West Siding although the 1904 RCH Handbook of stations doesn't list it suggesting that the siding had closed and was presumably reopened at a later date. It was renamed Weelerby West Siding 1.7.1923 after Burton Constable Station was renamed Ellerby on 1.1.1922 although the RCH Handbook of Stations for for 1956 still lists it as Ellerby West Siding. It handled general goods traffic only.

The station had a single platform on the down side of the line. The station building comprised a two storey house for the stationmaster with a single storey extension at the south end. The stationmaster would also been the crossing gate keeper. After closure of the station the house was retained for the gatekeeper.

There was a single short goods siding on the down side of the line to the north of the level crossing. This was relaid a few yards to the east when the line was doubled and later shortened. It handled general goods traffic only and closed 7 April 1959.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HULL & HORNSEA RAILWAY
A line connecting the Hull-Scarborough branch at Arram to a site near Hornsea Mere had been proposed in 1846/7 by the York and North Midland Railway but never built due to the downfall of chairman George Hudson amidst a financial scandal.

A new line connecting Hull and Hornsea was promoted by Hornsea resident and Hull timber merchant Joseph Armytage Wade, the aim of such a line being to develop Hornsea as a fashionable Victorian seaside resort.

The first sod was turned by Wade on 8.10.1862. Problems were encountered during construction due to the nature of the local soil; there were further issues with poor workmanship and materials used by the contractors. A late change of plan saw the line extended from the proposed terminus at Hornsea Bridge to the seafront; this meant construction of an embankment which required the ground to be piled adding substantially to the already escalating construction costs.

Opened on 28.3.1864, the line ran in a fairly direct North Easterly direction from Hull, the original Hull terminus was Wilmington station, though after 1st June 1864 trains ran via the Victoria Dock branch into Hull's Paragon station. Due to lower than expected receipts and consequent financial difficulties, the Hull and Hornsea Railway merged with the North Eastern Railway on 16.7.1866.

The line was constructed as a single track but was doubled throughout in the early 1900s. Diesel railcars were introduced from 71.1957 and operated local services from that date. Centralised Traffic Control (automated signaling and level crossings) was proposed in the early 1960's, but this was overtaken by the 'Beeching Report'. Closure to passengers came on 19.10.1964, with Goods services to Hornsea Bridge continuing until 3.5.1965.

Today, the trackbed of the railway forms the 'Hornsea Rail Trail', also part of the 'Trans Pennine Trail'- the majority of station buildings still exist and the trackbed is virtually complete throughout.

Further reading 'The Lost Railways of Holderness' by Peter Price (Hutton Press)
ISBN 0 0907033 86 5. Route map drawn by Alan Young.

To see the other stations on the Hull & Hornsea Railway click on the station name: Sutton-on-Hull, Swine, Skirlaugh, Ellerby 2nd station, Whitedale, Sigglesthorne, Wassand, Hornsea Bridge & Hornsea Town


Ellerby first station on an unknown date but probably in the 1950s.
Photo from John Mann collection.


1891 1:2,500 OS map. A single platform is shown with the station house which also acted as the booking office. A single siding is seen on the up side to the north of the level crossing.

1910 1:2,500 OS map. The station has now closed and the station house is now the Ellerby gatehouse. It would have had that job as well when the station was open. The siding was relaid a few yards to the east when the line was doubled.

1927 1:2,500 OS map. The siding has been shortened is now named although by this date it was officially known as the Weelerby West siding. OS are often late catching up with name changes.

Ivatt 4MT class 2-6-0 No. 43077 hauls a southbound goods train past the first Ellerby station in the 1950s or early 1960s. This loco was new in October 1950 and was built at Darlington Works. She was withdrawn from Manningham shed on 21 May 1957 and cut up at Drapers in Neptune Street goods yard in Hull in August that year. Although closed to passengers since 1902 the platform remains clean and tidy with flowers and bushes. The crossing keeper is seen at the end of the platform.
Copyright photo by Jim Sedgwick

Ellerby first station looking north-west in June 1979, 14 years after the track was lifted.
Photo from the KDH Archive

Ellerby first station looking south-east in June 1979. The timber railway fencing is still in place at the back of the platform and appears in good condition.
Photo from the KDH Archive

Ellerby first station building in May 2003.
Photo by Bruce Robinson

Ellerby first station looking south-east from the site of the level crossing in July 1999. A public footpath runs along the track.
Photo by William Arthur, reproduced from Wikipedia under creative commons licence

Ellerby first station in January 2009. The extension to the building is obvious from the change in colour of the brick work. The single storey part of the building although resembling the single storey part of the original building is new.
Photo by Mark Dyson

Ellerby first station looking north-east along the platform in January 2009. The fencing at the rear of the platform looks similar but has replaced the original fencing. The planks are wider and there is no spacing between them.
Photo Mark Dyson

Looking west from Skirlaugh Road at the first Ellerby station in January 2009.
Photo by Mark Dyson
Looking north-east at the first Ellerby station in August 2012. The fencing seen in the 2009 picture had been moved to the front of the platform to provide additional privacy.
Photo by Richard Wadston

May 2003

June 2013

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

:[Source: Mark Dyson]


Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 05-Feb-2018 17:11:29 GMT
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations