Station Name: ELLERBY (2nd station)

[Source: Mark Dyson]

Date opened: 28.3.1864
Location: West side of Marton Road
Company on opening: Hull and Hornsea Railway
Date closed to passengers: 19.10.1964
Date closed completely: 19.10.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (Eastern Region)
Present state: Platforms extant and in good condition; a public footpath runs through the site. The goods dock to the south of the station also survives but is now overgrown. The stationmaster's house is now a private residence
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: TA168394
Date of visit: 25.5.1975 & March 1991

Notes: This station was originally named Marton but was renamed Burton Constable on 1.8.1864. It's final name was Ellerby from 1.1.1922 to avoid confusion with Constable Burton in North Yorkshire. The goods service was withdrawn from 11.11.1963

The station was provided with two facing platforms. Initially there were no buildings on the down platform and a small single storey brick building on the up platform. In the 20th century both platforms were provided with a timber waiting shelter. A toilet block was also added at the south end of the up platform. A brick signal box was also later provided at the south end of the up platform. The stationmaster was provided with a house at street level on the down side adjacent to the road. This may also have housed the booking office. There were ramps down to both platforms from the road.

The goods yard was to the south of the station in the up side. It had two long and two short sidings. One siding ran alongside a dock and another stopped end on to the dock. Access to the yard was a long a track from Marton road adjacent to a terrace of railway cottages. A weighbridge was provided at the end of this access track. The Railway Hotel stood at the south end of the terrace of cottages.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HULL & HORNSEA RAILWAY
A line connecting the Hull-Scarborough branch at Arram to a site near Hornsea Mere had been proposed in 1846/7 by the York and North Midland Railway but never built due to the downfall of chairman George Hudson amidst a financial scandal.

A new line connecting Hull and Hornsea was promoted by Hornsea resident and Hull timber merchant Joseph Armytage Wade, the aim of such a line being to develop Hornsea as a fashionable Victorian seaside resort.

The first sod was turned by Wade on 8.10.1862. Problems were encountered during construction due to the nature of the local soil; there were further issues with poor workmanship and materials used by the contractors. A late change of plan saw the line extended from the proposed terminus at Hornsea Bridge to the seafront; this meant construction of an embankment which required the ground to be piled adding substantially to the already escalating construction costs.

Opened on 28.3.1864, the line ran in a fairly direct North Easterly direction from Hull, the original Hull terminus was Wilmington station, though after 1st June 1864 trains ran via the Victoria Dock branch into Hull's Paragon station. Due to lower than expected receipts and consequent financial difficulties, the Hull and Hornsea Railway merged with the North Eastern Railway on 16.7.1866.

The line was constructed as a single track but was doubled throughout in the early 1900s. Diesel railcars were introduced from 71.1957 and operated local services from that date. Centralised Traffic Control (automated signaling and level crossings) was proposed in the early 1960's, but this was overtaken by the 'Beeching Report'. Closure to passengers came on 19.10.1964, with Goods services to Hornsea Bridge continuing until 3.5.1965.

Today, the trackbed of the railway forms the 'Hornsea Rail Trail', also part of the 'Trans Pennine Trail'- the majority of station buildings still exist and the trackbed is virtually complete throughout.

Further reading 'The Lost Railways of Holderness' by Peter Price (Hutton Press) ISBN 0 0907033 86 5

To see the other stations on the Hull & Hornsea Railway click on the station name: Sutton-on-Hull, Swine, Skirlaugh, Ellerby (1st station), Whitedale, Sigglesthorne, Wassand, Hornsea Bridge & Hornsea Town

.

Looking north-east towards Ellerby station in the 1950s or early 1960s. Ellerby signal box is seen at the south end of the up platform. This controlled access to the goods yard which was sited to the south of the station (see map below).
Copyright photo by Jim Sedgwick


1891 1:2,500 OS map. The layout of Burton Constable station is clearly seen. There are two facing platforms in the cutting with the down platform overlooked by the stationmaster's house. It is likely that tickets were issued from an office in the house. One building is shown on the up platform with no other platform buildings. There is no obvious access point to the platforms. No signal box is shown at this time. The goods yard is to the south of the station on the up side. Four sidings are shown, that to the right appears to be for coal. Access to the goods yard is along from Marton Road alongside a terrace of railway cottages with a weighbridge (WM) shown at the end of the access road. The Railway Hotel is seen at the south end of the terrace.

1927 1:2,500 OS map. A number of buildings have been added to the station including waiting shelters on both platforms and a toilet on the up platform. A signal box has also now been provided at the south end of the up platform. Some of the sidings have been relaid with a short siding now running end on to the dock. The crossover to the north of the station has been removed.

Looking north-east along the up platform at Ellerby. Facilities at Ellerby were basic. There is a waiting shelter on the down platform with a similar shelter on the up platform. The single storey brick building is may have been the booking office although this is more likely to have been in the station house. There is also a toilet behind the photographer. Access to the platform was down a ramp from the bridge, this is out of view behind the shelter. A ramp to the down platform can just be made out to the left
of the signal.
Copyright photo from Stations UK

On 3 May 1965 the final goods train from Hornsea Bridge passes through Ellerby station on its way back to Hull. Hornsea Bridge, the penultimate station on the branch, was the location of the town's goods facilities. The train is quite lengthy and was probably partly revenue earning and partly collecting any empties which had lingered on the branch. Ellerby had closed to all traffic by the date of this photograph. The locomotive is an LMS designed shunter of what became Class 11. Hull Dairycoates shed acquired a batch of these shunters new in 1952 but they soon moved to Springhead. When Springhead closed in 1961 the majority were moved elsewhere but No.12122 remained in Hull, returning to Dairycoates and here she is being photographed at Ellerby. She was later transferred to Immingham from where she was withdrawn in 1971 but that was not the end for she served in industrial use until 1985 when the scrapyard finally beckoned. Class 11 was developed into the ubiquitous Class 08 but there were a number of differences not immediately obvious to the untrained eye. One of these was Class 11 never being fitted with train brakes and this may account for the presence at Ellerby of two brake vans. Interestingly Dairycoates shed acquired a number of Class 14 diesel-hydraulics which the Western Region did not know what to do with. Some had already arrived when this photograph was taken and the job No.12122 is performing was the type of work the Class 14's were intended for but whether any made it onto the Hornsea branch is not known for they performed little, if indeed any, work around Hull before being disposed of.
Photo by Arthur Robson

Ellerby station looking north-east in May 1975.
Copyright photo from Nigel Mundy collection

Ellerby station looking north-east towards Hornsea from the south end of the up platform in April 1976.
Photo by Alan Young

Ellerby station looking north-east in June 1979.
Photo from the KDH Archive

The platforms and station house looking north-east towards Hornsea in March 1991. The bridge at the far end of the platforms which carried the road over the railway has been removed and the cutting partially infilled.
Photo by Mark Dyson

Ellerby station-master's house seen from Marton Road in January 2009. The ramp to down platform was to the left of the red truck.
Photo by Mark Dyson

Although the track bed forms part of the Hornsea Rail Trail the platforms were overgrown in this view looking north-east in January 2009.
Photo by Mark Dyson

Ellerby station looking south-west in January 2009. The down platform on the right is barely visible.
Photo by Mark Dyson

The undergrowth seen in the picture above has now been cleared revealing both platforms still in good condition in March 2017.
Photo by Dave Attrill from his Flickr photostream

While the passenger platforms have3 been cleared of undergrowth as part of the Hornsea Rail Trail, the goods dock to the south of the station is intact but heavily overgrown as seen in this view looking south-west in March 2017. The footpath is out of view to the right.
Photo by Dave Attrill from his Flickr photostream

Looking north-east at Ellerby goods dock in March 2017. A short siding ran end on to the dock so there is no ramp at the south end.
Photo by Dave Attrill from his Flickr photostream

8.2012

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

Home Page
Last updated: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 00:01:45 GMT
© 1998-2018 Disused Stations