Station Name: FOLKESTONE                          HARBOUR

[Source: Nick Catford]


Folkestone Harbour Station Gallery 2: c1904 - 1930s


Folkestone Harbour station looking north-west c1904, shortly after the rebuilding of the station had been completed. This project included the removal of the trainshed and the rebuilding of the platforms on a tight curve, as seen here. The signal box standing on the platform was built in 1893 to control access to the carriage berthing sidings. The recently extended Royal Pavilion Hotel is seen in the background.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

The recently delivered SE&CR turbine steamer SS ‘Onward’ is seen loading at Folkestone Harbour pier c1905.The SS ‘Onward’ was built for the SE&CR in 1905, for its Folkestone-Boulogne route. It was the first ferry to carry cars but they had to be winched on board. During WW1, ‘Onward’ became a troop ship until on 24 September 1918 while waiting at Folkestone for the arrival of troops, a fire broke out which quickly spread to the saloon and threatened to engulf not only the vessel but also stores and equipment at the harbour. To avoid this happening, the sea cocks were opened and the’ Onward’ quickly settled and turned onto her starboard side putting out the fire. The ship was eventually pulled upright by five steam locomotives. Investigators found evidence of a thermite bomb amongst the ship’s life belts; it was presumably planted by enemy agents. In 1920 the fire-damaged vessel was sold to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co, and was rebuilt as the 'Mona's Isle', eventually being scrapped in 1948.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

Another view of the SS ‘Onward’ with passengers disembarking after arrival of the vessel from Boulogne; a boat train waits alongside. The ‘Onward’ was named after the motto on the SER's coat of arms. The overhead travelling cranes were provided by this time.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

A boat train is seen crossing the viaduct after leaving the Harbour station c1905. The brick viaduct was flanked by wooden piers that held additional tracks.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

The 1876 pier platform seen from the north end of the Folkestone Harbour down platform in the early twentieth century. The iron walkway on the right leads onto the promenade on top of the pier and the line trailing in from the right leads to the carriage berthing sidings. The platform will eventually be incorporated into an extended Folkestone Harbour station up platform.
Photo from John Mann collection

Folkestone Harbour seen from the Royal Pavilion hotel in the first decade of the twentieth century. In the foreground is the swing bridge at the end of the viaduct. The viaduct was flanked by wooden piers that held additional tracks, one either side of the viaduct. The buffer stops for these flanking lines can be seen although the track appears to have been lifted. At the south end of the swing bridge the line passes under an open lattice footbridge before entering the station. A wagon turntable can just be made out under the footbridge; this gave access to the sidings that ran along the south pier (seen in the foreground) and into the goods yard. The large goods shed is seen on the far left. The main station building is seen centre-right, with the station entrance on the right which led into the booking office. The centre door with the SER coat of arms above it is the large luggage hall. The two-storey building to the left, also with the SER coat of arms above the entrance, is the Custom House; this was largely destroyed by bombs during WW2. To the rear is the pier with the pier platform on the approach to the pier on the right; the walkway to the pier promenade seen in the picture above is also seen on the far right. The SE&CR's new turbine steamer ‘Onward’ is seen next to the locomotive blowing off steam. The landing stages on the outer side of the pier were used only when the sea was calm. Apart from the piers the only building in this picture that survives today is the station entrance at the north
end of the down platform.
Photo from John Mann collection

Folkestone Harbour station looking south from the footbridge c1905. The station entrance described in the picture above is seen on the left. A workman is repairing the wagon turnplate on the down line; when the station was first opened this was the only access to the goods yard to the left and the horse and carriage dock to the right. By this date it was also possible to reverse into the yard from the pier. The tightly curved platforms enabled trains to reach the new pier; a check rail is clearly visible on the up line. The starter signal is seen on the left with a replacement under construction behind it.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

Looking north along the pier in the first decade of the twentieth century; the pier signal box is seen in the foreground. Sir William Cubitt's Foord viaduct is seen in the background. In the centre the SER's imposing Custom House dominates the harbour.

Troops on the pier at Folkestone Harbour waiting to embark on a troop ship during WW1.

A train waits on the pier for the arrival of the mail ship ‘Mecklenburg’ of SMZ (Stoomvaart Maatschappij Zealand).which is seen approaching the pier, having travelled from Flushing in Holland with continental mail in the 1920s. She provided an overnight connection from Flushing to Folkestone. The service commenced in 1911, and was eventually transferred to Harwich in 1927.

Folkestone Harbour station and pier in 1933. The tightly curving platforms are seen clearly with the pier platform and the Harbour station up platform separated by the trailing line onto the carriage berthing sidings; these are seen top left together with a goods dock. The Harbour Master's house is seen behind the north end of the up platform (this building is extant). On the down side the original SER station buildings and two-storey Customs House are seen, with the goods yard to the rear. Two travelling cranes are seen on the pier, as is a large covered shed which was built by the Southern Railway. The pier signal box is seen bottom left. Click here for a larger version of this photo.


A Southern Railway steamer is seen leaving Folkestone Harbour for Boulogne in February 1932.

Click here for Folkestone Harbour Station Gallery 3:
1946 - 1950s



 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford)




Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 10:56:34 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations