HALEWOOD TRIANGLE

Halewood Sidings

[Source: Paul Wright]


Halewood sidings shown on a 1895 map.

Sidings were established at Halewood within the triangle when the North Liverpool Extension line opened in December 1879. They were located to the north of the main line but over the years the expanded along the original east chord of the triangle and along the west goods chord. Notable expansions took place during both world wars.

The primary function of the sidings was to allow trains to be marshalled. In CLC days the sidings were worked by engines from Walton-on-the-Hill shed but after nationalisation Speke Shed engines were also seen there.

The sidings closed on 14 May 1967.

The 8D Association - Dedicated to promoting the history of South Lancashire and North Cheshire railways. Web Site


Looking north-east at the Halewood sidings on 23 March 1959. A train of empty coal wagons is seen coming off the Halewood North Junction - Halewood sidings goods line. It is heading towards Hunts Cross East Junction where it would join the main line. Heading east along the up slow line is another goods train. Engines can be seen shunting in the sidings.
P
hoto by Jim Peden

Looking west along the CLC Liverpool and Manchester main line towards Hunts Cross East Junction on 23 March 1959. A Manchester express is seen heading east along the up fast line. The Halewood sidings are seen to the right with a mixed goods train heading west.
Photo by Jim Peden


A busy scene at Halewood in 1962 looking east. A train of concrete pipes is seen heading west along the down slow line. Next to it another goods train heads east on the up slow line. The sidings are filled to capacity with every kind of wagon. Within five years the sidings and the slow lines would be gone.
P
hoto by Jim Peden


The site of the Halewood sidings looking east in August 1995.
Photo by Paul Wright


The Halewood sidings extended towards Halewood North Junction along the goods lines of the inner triangle. This view shows the location of the northern sidings looking north in March 2011.
Photo by Paul Wright


The point at which the goods line to Hunts Cross East diverged from the original east chord of 1879 seen looking south in March 2011. The Halewood sidings extended to this point.
Photo by Paul Wright


Looking east towards Halewood East Junction from the eastern end of the
Halewood sidings in March 2011.
Photo by Paul Wright


Looking east at the site of the Halewood sidings in March 2011. The area had become heavily wooded. The CLC Liverpool and Manchester railway was still a busy main line for passenger services but it saw no freight at this time.
Photo by Paul Wright
 

Click here to see views of Halewood North Junction

Click here to see views of Halewood East Junction

Click here to see views of Hunts Cross East Junction

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 16:20:35 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations