HALEWOOD TRIANGLE

Halewood North Junction

[Source: Paul Wright]


Not all lines and crossovers are shown

Halewood North Junction was the northern point of the Halewood triangle. When it opened on 1 December 1879 it was simple junction between two double track lines controlled by a nineteen lever frame signal box on the east side of the line. Curving towards the west was the west chord which ran to the main line at Hunts Cross East Junction. Trains running between Liverpool and the North Liverpool Extension Line used this route. Curving towards the east was the east chord which ran to Halewood East Junction. This was used by trains running between Manchester and the North Liverpool Extension Line.

In 1897 a new eastern chord was opened for passenger services and through freight trains. It was located to the east of the original line and had its junction with the western chord a short distance to the north of the original junction. The original line to Halewood East Junction (which then became Halewood West Junction) became a goods only line.

At the same time at a distance of about 30 chains to the south of the 1879 junction, along the eastern chord, another junction was created at which a line diverged. It curved to the west and made a connection with the main line to the east of Hunts Cross East Junction. It was also used only by goods trains. A signal box opened on 25 February 1901 to control the northern junction of what had in effect become an inner triangle. The box was called Halewood Sidings North. It had closed by December 1925 being replaced by a ground frame.


Halewood North Junction shown on a 1904 map. Both the Halewood North Junction signal box of 1896 and the 1901 box for the goods line junction are shown.

To control the remodelled Halewood North Junction a new signal box opened on 4 June 1896. It was an all timber CLC type CL1a box with a 40 lever frame. It was located adjacent to the new junction further north that the original on the west side of the line.

On 25 February 1901 a signal box was opened to serve the junction between the original chord (now the goods line to Halewood West Junction) and the goods line that ran to Hunts Cross East Junction. It was relatively short lived closing by December 1925. It was replaced by a ground frame.

The original north junction of 1879 was the first to close on 14 May 1967. The 1897 eastern chord closed on 26 October 1968 and Halewood North Junction signal box closed the following day on 27 October 1968.

The 8D Association - Dedicated to promoting the history of South Lancashire and North Cheshire railways. Web Site


Looking south towards Halewood North Junction in 1962. A goods train for Huskisson is seen coming off the Halewood West Junction to Halewood North Junction goods line (the original eastern chord until 1897). The 1897 Halewood North signal box is seen to the right. In the distance, to the left of the train, is the eastern chord down line home signal.
P
hoto by John Ward

Looking east on 7 July 1959 at Halewood North Junction. A southbound goods train is seen passing the Halewood North Junction up line home signal.
Photo by Jim Peden

A southbound goods train nears Halewood North Junction on 4 June 1960.
P
hoto by Jim Peden


Halewood North Junction up line home signal looking north in 1959. The tallest signal to the right indicated to drivers that they would be routed over the 1897 eastern chord to Halewood East Junction. Passenger services and through goods trains heading east towards Manchester would have taken this line. The signal to left was for the line to Hunts Cross East Junction. Passenger services for Liverpool Central would have taken this route. The smallest signal in the middle indicated the goods lines which led to Halewood West Junction (via the original eastern chord) and to Hunts Cross East Junction. This route would be used by goods trains only.
Photo by Jim Peden


A short trip working heads south towards Halewood North Junction on 4 June 1960.
P
hoto by Jim Peden


The site of Halewood North Junction looking south from a similar viewpoint to the 1962 photograph above in August 1995.
Photo by Paul Wright


A public footpath passed under the line at Halewood North Junction by means of a short tunnel. The tunnel is seen looking east in this view from August 1995. Halewood North Junction signal box was to the right.
Photo by Paul Wright


The site of Halewood North Junction looking north in March 2011. The original north junction of 1879 was located directly in front of the photographer. The 1897 junction was further away at the point where a signpost can be seen in the distance.
Photo by Paul Wright


Looking south at Halewood North Junction in March 2011.
Photo by Paul Wright


Looking north towards Halewood North Junction along the western chord of the Halewood triangle in March 2011.
Photo by Paul Wright
 
Click here to see views of Halewood Sidings

Click here to see views of Halewood East Junction

Click here to see views of Hunts Cross East Junction

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 16:20:35 BST
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations