HALEWOOD TRIANGLE

Hunts Cross East Junction

[Source: Paul Wright]

Hunts Cross East Junction was the western point of the Halewood triangle. It became a junction in December 1879 when the North Liverpool Extension Line opened. The junction was controlled by a timber CLC type St/CL N/S signal box that had a 30 lever frame. It was located on the south side of the main line close to where the North Liverpool Extension Line diverged. The box actually pre-dated the junction having opened as 'Hunts Cross Station' box in April 1874. It was renamed Hunts Cross East Junction in December 1879.


Not all lines and crossovers are shown.

Originally the main line and was a double track railway. In 1883 it was quadrupled between Hunts Cross West Junction and Halewood East Junction. The additional lines were located to the north of the originals. They were designated as the up and down slow lines. From 1883 the North Liverpool Extension Line connected onto the slow lines.

East of the junction was the western end of the Halewood sidings which connected to the slow lines. At the western end the connection between the main line and the sidings was controlled by Hunts Cross East signal box.

Hunts Cross East Junction remained unaltered until 1967. On 14 May 1967 the up and down slow lines between Hunts Cross East Junction and Halewood East Junction closed as did the Halewood sidings. The redundant lines were lifted. The north Liverpool Extension Lines had no physical connection with the main line at Hunts Cross East Junction after 14 May 1967. They ran parallel to the main line as a quadruple railway to Hunts Cross West Junction where they merged with the main line.

Hunts Cross East Junction signal box closed on 15 February 1970. On 26 September 1973 the North Liverpool Extension line was singled between Gateacre and Hunts Cross West Junction. Regular traffic ceased to run along it in June 1975 and it was lifted in February 1979.


Hunts Cross East Junction looking west from the North Liverpool Extension line in 1959. A Liverpool Central to Aintree Central service has just come off the main line and is about to pass the distant signal for Halewood North Junction.
P
hoto by Jim Peden

Looking east at Hunts Cross East Junction on 23 April 1960. A Liverpool Central train is seen heading west along the down fast main line. The view clearly illustrates the arrangement of the Hunts Cross east junction. The two main lines are right and the slow lines are to the left. Diverging to the left from the slow lines is the North Liverpool Extension Line. The Halewood sidings are beyond the
bridge seen in the distance.
Photo by Jim Peden

A brakedown train approaches Hunts Cross East Junction on the western chord of the Halewood triangle on 5 January 1963.
P
hoto by Jim Peden

Looking north away from Hunts Cross East Junction along the western chord of the Halewood triangle in 1957. An Aintree Central to Liverpool Central train is seen rounding the curve. Within a few minutes it would reach Hunts Cross East Junction.
Photo by Jim Peden

The site of Hunts Cross East Junction looking east in August 1995.
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Hunts Cross East Junction site looking west in March 2011. A 'Trans Pennine Express' service passes the site of the actual junction. To its right can be seen a fence that marks the course of the North Liverpool Extension Line.
Photo by Paul Wright


A signal wire supporting pulley from the Hunts Cross East Junction, west chord down line distant signal, seen in March 2011.
Photo by Paul Wright
 

Click here to see views of Halewood Sidings

Click here to see views of Halewood East Junction

Click here to see views of Halewood North Junction

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 16:20:35 BST
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations