SALTLEY LOCOMOTIVE SHED

(2E)

Gallery 1 1948 - 1990

[Source: Terry Callaghan]


A line up of LMS Derby built DEJ3, later class 11, 0-6-0 shunting locomotives at Saltley on 25 April 1948. The four rearmost still retain there LMS lettering the majority of the class had been withdrawn by the end of the 1960's.
Photo by D J Norton

Fowler 4F 44057 built by the North British Locomotive Comapny, Glasgow in 1925 for the LMS to a Midland Railway design standing in the No2 roundhouse during the mid 1960's.
Photo by Alan Pratt from his Seagull/21A Flickr photostream

Looking north-west towards the shed in late 1967 it is evident that the run-down of steam is in full swing as diesels are now out numbering the steam engines. Peaks and Brush type 4's await their next turn of duty whilst the steam locomotive to the right had just arrived following a passenger working, its headcode displayed on the tender.
Photo by David J Smith from his curly42 Flickr photostream

Looking towards the shell of the No2 roundhouse and it is evident that the building is now in terminal decline and pretty much open to the elements. Locally built at Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company (BRCW) D5401, later class 27, 27 056 stands outside the shed in late 1967.
Photo by David J Smith from his curly42 Flickr photostream

The coaling stage in 1967 strangely filled with Peaks the loco displying the headcode 6T23 is D66 latterly 45 146 which had another 20 years of service being withdrawn in April 1987.
Photo by David J Smith from his curly42 Flickr photostream

A great view of the three road Saltley LIP in the 1980's and the depot is busy with a mixture of Brush type 4 class 47's and BREL buit type 5 class 58's. The yellow cranes of the Lawley Street container terminal can be seen in the background.
Photo by Gary Bearley and supplied by Simon Barnes from his bescotbeast Flickr photostream

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

To see more photos of Saltley shed click here

 

 

 

[Source: Terry Callaghan]



Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 16:22:34 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations