Station Name: HOLBORN VIADUCT
|Location:||On the south side of Holborn Viaduct|
|Company on opening:||London Chatham & Dover Railway|
|Date closed to passengers:||29.1.1990|
|Date closed completely:||29.1.1990|
|Company on closing:||British Rail (Southern Region)|
|Present state:||The platforms have been demolished and the site redeveloped as Fleet Place. The office block incorporating the entrance has been refaced and now includes the entrance to City Thameslink Station sited below the offices in Fleet Place.|
|OS Grid Ref:||TQ316814|
|Date of visit:||January 1990, 29.1.1990, May 1990 & 20.12.2005|
Notes: The original roadside entrance was a single storey building, the hotel being added above it at a later date. The hotel was damaged during WW2 and in 1963 the building was replaced by a large office block incorporating the entrance to the station at ground floor level.
It is interesting to note that electrified services commenced running from Holborn Viaduct High Level on 12 July 1925, and that the third rail was installed along the double track of the line to the Low Level station for some distance, in order to reach a sub-station.
By the time the station closed in 1990 the service had been drastically run down and the terminus was only open during weekday peak hours, outside that time trains terminated at Blackfriars.
Much of the station had already been demolished before some
years before closure, with a new office block (20 Old Bailey)
standing on the site of the east platform. The surviving island
platform and track was removed almost immediately and the site
The 'City Line' was far more than the Chatham could cope with financially, but the possibilities for through traffic were vast. To the north the G N R and the Midland could be reached and to the south were the L B S C R and L S W R at Clapham Junction from where the G W R and L N W R could be reached via the West London Line. All these companies were approached to partake financially and all eventually profited from the scheme gaining the right to work trains to their own goods and coal depots in South London.
The line from Herne Hill to the Elephant and Castle was opened on 6 October 1862 and on to Blackfriars Bridge on 1 June 1864. Intermediate stations were initially provided at Camberwell, Walworth Road and Borough Road and later at Loughborough Junction.
The Thames was eventually bridged and by 21 December 1864 a temporary station at Ludgate Hill was in use, a permanent station being opened on 1st June 1865. It had two narrow island platforms but the station was rebuilt in 1910 with a single broader island platform.
On 1st January 1866, L C D R passenger trains began running into the Metropolitan's Farringdon Street station and the connection was soon carrying a wide variety of passenger and freight services. Then, by an Act of 13 July 1871, the Chatham became committed to yet another project.
On 1st August 1874 a low-level station, Snow Hill ('Holborn Viaduct Low Level' from 1912), was opened at the foot of the 1 in 39 incline.
Finally, on 10th May 1886 a parallel bridge across the Thames was opened with, at the northern end, yet another new station, St. Paul's, the original Blackfriars Bridge being closed. St. Paul's was renamed Blackfriars on 1st February 1937. The existing layout was completed when the South Eastern Railway opened the Union Street spur on 1st June 1878 creating a through route into Charing Cross.
The difficulties of inter-terminal transfer through the congested streets of mid-Victorian London assured considerable transfer traffic. All L C D R mainline trains, including continental ones, carried a City portion attached or detached at Herne Hill. Eventually however the development of the underground network led to the withdrawal of the through services and the demise in the importance of Holborn and Blackfriars with a dramatic reduction in off peak services. Holborn retained very heavy parcels traffic, including continental and three of its six platforms, too short for electric trains were utilised.
The first casualty on the line was Borough Road which closed on 1st April 1907 due to competition from the Northern Line. As an economy measure during WW1 through services from south of the Thames to Moorgate via the Smithfield Curve (opened 1.9.1871) were withdrawn on 1st April 1916 with Camberwell and Walworth Road stations closing two days later. Holborn Viaduct Low Level closed on 1st June 1916 and with it through passenger traffic on the City Line ceased.
In 1902, 19.2 million passengers used Holborn, Ludgate and St. Paul's. Use declined with the loss of the cross London traffic until electrification. The growth of L.C.C. estates in S E London and Kent increased traffic but this was not maintained and in 1960 they were back to the 1902 level with 88% of the traffic arriving or departing during the rush hour. The 'City Line' was still a vital north-south freight link with some 90 trains a day in 1962, but all regular freight and parcels services were withdrawn in 1969. Although disused for many years the Snow Hill tunnel was finally abandoned in 1971 and the track was lifted.
The Snow Hill tunnel was reopened in 1988 as part of the new Thameslink network which came into service in May 1990, initially as part of British Rail but private since March 1997. To coincide with the opening of Thameslink, Holborn Viaduct Station was closed on 22nd January 1990. The line into Holborn Viaduct over Ludgate Hill was removed and a new line built that drops down steeply from Blackfriars station into a new station called City Thameslink (opened 29.5.1990) beneath the former Holborn Viaduct Station. The station was originally called St. Paul's Thameslink but was renamed in 1991 to avoid confusion from St. Paul's station on the Central line.
The northern part of the Thameslink network replaced the 'Bedpan' service from Bedford to St. Pancras and uses the existing Midland Main Line. In the south there are two branches. The main route runs through London Bridge to East Croydon and Brighton while the second branch initially ran into Guildford via West Croydon but has now been rerouted through Mitcham to terminate at Sutton.
has become a significant commuter route serving the airports
at Gatwick and Luton and carries around 40 million passenger
journeys on the system annually.
regional history of the railways of Great Britain - Volume
3 Greater London by H P White. David & Charles 1963 &
1971 ISBN 0 7153 5337 3
Other web sites: Abandoned
Tube Stations - includes a cab ride from Farringdon - Blackfriars
Click here for more pictures of Holborn Viaduct Station
|Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 11:13:28 CEST||
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations