||Notes: Peasley Cross Station was on the St. Helens and Runcorn
Gap Railway which ran from St. Helens in the north to the banks
of the Mersey at Widnes in the South, with no intermediate stations.
On opening (21st February 1833) the line was owned by the St.
Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway Company. It was absorbed into the
LNWR in 1864. Initially the line
was goods only but local people
asked for a passenger service with a horse drawn service being
introduced between the junction and St. Helens.
was cut back to a point just to the south of the
site of Peasley Cross Station where a siding led into the Hays
Chemical works. Trains continued to use the line through Peasley
Cross until 27.9.2002.
|From 1845 a number of gradients on the line that had precluded
locomotive working were eased and at about this time Peasley Cross
station was opened.
The line was always more heavily used by goods trains but over
the years a steady service between St. Helens and Widnes developed
latterly running to Ditton Junction where connections to Liverpool,
Crewe, Manchester and even London could be made.
The service lasted until 16.6.1951 when Clock Face Station closed
as a passenger station. On 1.11.1981 the line closed as a through
route but the sections between Sutton Manor Colliery and St. Helens
Junction remainedopen until 1986 and the mid 1990's respectively.
Then the line
Today nothing of the station remains but the track that is still
in situ is the only remaining part of the historic Runcorn Gap
Tickets from Michael Stewart
To see the other
stations on Widnes - St. Helens line click on the station name:
Ann Street, Appleton,
Farnworth & Bold,
Bank Farm Halt, Clockface
& Sutton Oak