only but local people
asked for a passenger service with a horse drawn service being
introduced between the junction and St. Helens.
||Notes: Sutton Oak Station was on the St. Helens and Runcorn Gap
Railway which ran from St. Helens in the north to the banks of
the Mersey at Widnes in the South, with no intermediate stations.
On opening (21st February 1833) the line was owned by the St.
Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway Company. It was absorbed into the
LNWR in 1864. Initially the line was goods
and Widnes developed
latterly running to Ditton Junction where connections to Liverpool,
Crewe, Manchester and even London could be made.
|From 1845 a number of gradients on the line that had precluded
locomotive working were eased and at about this time Sutton Oak
station was opened originally as 'Sutton'. It gained the 'Oak'
The line was always more heavily used by goods trains but over
the years a steady service between St. Helens
sections between Sutton
Manor Colliery and St. Helens Junction remained open until 1986
and the mid 1990's respectively after which the track was lifted
to a point just to the north of the Sutton Oak station site. Today
nothing of the station remains.
||The service lasted until 16.6.1951 when Clock Face Station closed
as a passenger station. Passenger services operated through the
site of the station after this date as the St. Helens Shaw Street
to St. Helens Junction service (known as the Junction Bus) used
the line until it was discontinued on 14.6.1965. On 1.11.1981 the line closed as a through route but the
Tickets from Michael Stewart
To see the other
stations on Widnes - St. Helens line click on the station name:
Ann Street, Appleton,
Farnworth & Bold,
Bank Farm Halt,
Clockface & Peasley