Station Name: SHERWOOD

[Source: Simon Swain & Nick Catford]


Sherwood Station Gallery 2 1950 - July 2014



Looking south from the exchange sidings towards Sherwood station c1950. The platforms are now devoid of buildings except the lamp room. The stationmaster's house is seen to the rear of the platform with the weigh office on the right.


Sherwood station looking north from the down platform in May 1952, ten months after the station closed to all traffic. The signal box, which closed over 20 years earlier, is boarded up and
would soon be demolished.
Copyright photo from Stations UK


Sherwood station looking north from Sherwood Vale bridge c 1954. The signal box has now been demolished having been damaged by fire in June 1953 and the site is becoming overgrown. The track would soon be lifted.
Photo from John Mann collection



Looking south along the overgrown down platform in December 1963. The lamp room is seen on the right, and in the distance is the north portal of Sherwood Tunnel. A few months later the platform and remaining buildings were demolished as the site was cleared ready for building the two tower blocks, Winchester Court and Woodthorpe Court.
Photo by Tony Powell from his Flickr photostream


The Mapperley brickworks and narrow gauge incline in December 1963. 10 million Mapperley bricks were used to build St Pancras station in London. In 1969 brick-making at Mapperley and Carlton Hill ceased because NBC estimated there was enough accessible clay for only another 10 years and it was economically preferable to concentrate efforts on its more modern, highly-automated site at Dorket Head, where there were clay reserves for another 50 years. In 1970 the last NBC kiln at Mapperley was demolished. Click here to see a larger version of this picture.
Photo by Tony Powell from his Flickr photostream


Sherwood stationmaster's house seen from Sherwood Vale bridge in 1964. The trackbed is being cleared ready for the construction of two tower blocks, Winchester Court and
Woodthorpe Court, in 1965.
Photo by George Roberts


Looking north from beneath Sherwood Vale bridge at the site of Sherwood station c1966. The platforms continued south under the bridge.
Copyright photo by John Mann

Looking south from the north end of Sherwood station c1966.
Copyright photo by John Mann

Looking north from Sherwood Vale bridge at the site of Sherwood station c1966. The new garages follow the curve of the former platforms.
Copyright photo by John Mann

Sherwood Vale bridge and the stationmaster's house c1966. The main station building was on the left. The house was demolished by the end of the decade.
Copyright photo by John Mann

Looking north from the site of the south end of Sherwood platforms in April 2011. The north portal of Sherwood Tunnel, which is now buried, is behind the photographer.
Photo by Nick Catford

Looking south towards Sherwood Vale bridge from the site of Sherwood station in April 2011. The platforms ran under the bridge. Briarwood Court, on the right, was built on the site of the main station building in 1985. In the winter, once the undergrowth has dies away, it is possible to walk on the outside of the railings to reach the bridge and the cutting beyond.
Photo by Nick Catford

Surviving bridge over the bottom of the Mapperley Brickworks incline in July 2014. Sherwood station is behind the photographer.
Photo by Nick Catford



 

 

 

[Source: Simon Swain]




Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 09:56:25 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations