Station Name: WIGAN (LYR) 1st

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 20.11.1848
Location: East side of Wallgate
Company on opening: Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
Date closed to passengers: 26.5.1860
Date closed completely: 26.5.1860
Company on closing: Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SD582054
Date of visit: 20.03.2015

Notes: The first Wigan Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR) station was situated on the Liverpool & Bury Railway (L&BR) which was authorised on 31 July 1845. The route of the line took in the towns of Wigan and Bolton and had been promoted by prominent industrialists who wanted a more direct route between the industrial areas of east Lancashire and the port of Liverpool. Since 1830 the Liverpool & Manchester Railway (L&M) had held a monopoly on trade between those areas and it did not offer a direct route. Work on the line began in January 1846 and on 9 July 1847 the L&BR merged with other companies to form the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR). The line was opened on 20 November 1848 and a second route between Liverpool and Manchester was created as there was already a line between Bolton and Manchester which had opened on 29 May 1838.

The station which opened with the line was located south of Wallgate, a main street under which the line passed within the centre of Wigan. The station was a short distance north-east of the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) station. The LNWR line was at a higher elevation and passed over Wallgate. The station was accessed from Wallgate via an approach road that led down to the line.

The March 1850 timetable showed 7 trains in each direction Monday-to-Saturday as seen in the table below. On Sundays there were 3 trains in each direction.

Up Trains March 1850 Destination Down Trains March 1850 Destination
9.21am Rochdale 8.27am Liverpool
10.33am Manchester 9.53am Liverpool
11.33am Rochdale 11.45am Liverpool
2.25pm Rochdale 2.43pm Liverpool
4.48pm Rochdale 4.38pm Liverpool
6.35pm Rochdale 5.10pm Liverpool
8.25pm Bolton 8.08pm Liverpool

On 9 April 1855 the LYR opened a line from Wigan to Southport. The Southport line connected to the Liverpool and Bury railway a ¼-mile west of the first station at Southport Junction.

The first LYR station does not appear to have been well regarded; the Ormskirk Advertiser newspaper described it as a ‘hovel’. On 26 May 1860 the LYR opened a new station at Wigan. It was located further west than the original on the north side of Wallgate.

In 1877 a signal box opened at the station site. It was originally called Wigan Goods Yard but it was renamed Wigan No.2 in 1894. The box was a Saxby & Farmer Type 9 structure and it controlled movements along the main line and into an adjacent goods yard until 27 July 1941.

Route map by Alan Young.

The 8D Association - Dedicated to promoting the history of South Lancashire and North Cheshire railways. Web Site

Sources:

  • The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - Volume 1 - John Marshall - David & Charles 1969

To see other stations on the Liverpool Exchange - Wigan Wallgate line click on the station name: Liverpool Exchange, Liverpool Great Howard Street,
Kirkby Royal Ordnance Factory, Rainford, Rainford Junction, Upholland 1st &
Wigan (LYR) 2nd.


The site of the first Wigan LYR station looking north-west in the early 1970s. The building seen to the right was the former Wigan (LYR) No.2 signal box which opened after the station had closed in 1877.
Photo by Ted Baxendale from the Kerry Parker Flickr photostream




The Wigan No. 2 signal box seen in the 1980s. The box had opened in 1877 after the first Wigan station had closed. The box closed on 27 July 1941.
Photo by Brian Mawdesleya


A view looking north-west at the site of the first Wigan (LYR) station on 20 March 2015.
Photo by Les Fifoot


The site of the first Wigan (LYR) station looking south-east on 20 March 2015.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Looking south-east at the entrance gates to the first Wigan LYR station on 20 March 2015.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

A view looking north-west showing the first Wigan LYR station approach road on 20 March 2015.
Photo by Paul Wright

The site of the first Wigan LYR station looking north-east on 20 March 2015.
Photo by Les Fifoot

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 09:01:51 BST
© 2004-2015 Disused Stations