Station Name: BEULAH HALT

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 249.1928
Location: West side of Beulah Hill
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.10.1937
Date closed completely: 25.10.1937
Company on closing: Great Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Pembrokeshire
OS Grid Ref: SM981284
Date of visit: 12 February 2017

Notes: As road transport became more popular throughout West Wales a number of halts were opened in an effort to boost passenger traffic. Four halts were opened on the North Pembrokeshire branch.

Beulah Halt was built on an embankment and was named after the adjacent Beulah Chapel although it served the village of Little Newcastle. It was provided with a 75ft platform with sleeper edging and a cinder infill. It had a 12ft x 6ft timber shelter and was lit by oil lamps.

The halt was used by an average of 85 - 90 passengers per week but was short-lived. Having opened on 24 September 1928, Beulah and Castlebythe and the two other new halts opened soon after brought some increase in passenger revenue but the North Pembrokeshire line was still running at a loss and closed to passengers nine years later on 25 October 1937.

Ticket from Michael Stewart. Route map drawn by Alan Young

Click here for a brief history of the North Pembrokeshire branch



Sources:

See stations on the North Pembrokeshire Branch: Fishguard & Goodwick, Jordanston Halt, Letterston, Martel Bridge Halt, Castlebythe Halt, Puncheston, New Inn Bridge Halt, Rosebush, Maenclochog, Llanycefn & Beag Fair


Looking west at the site of Beulah Halt in July 1974. No photos of Beulah Halt are known to exist.
Photo by John Mann


As the halt was open for only nine years, it was not shown on any large scale Ordnance Survey maps as no such maps were published during its existence. Its approximate position is indicated on this 1907 1:2,500 map.

The bridge abutments on Beulah Hill looking north in September 2016. The halt was to the left.
Photo by Roy Lambeth

Beulah Chapel in September 2016. Although it served the small village of Little Newcastle the halt was named after the chapel which is adjacent to the railway line on Beulah Hill.
Photo by Roy Lambeth

Looking north-west at the site of Beulah Halt in February 2017.The course of the old railway is to the right hand side of the blue trailer.
Photo by Richard Martin

Looking up the track from the north side of the bridge to the west where the halt would
have been located.

Photo by Richard Martin

The west abutment of the Beulah Hill bridge in February 2017. The halt was to the left.
Photo by Richard Martin

The east abutment of the Beulah Hill bridge and embankment in February 2017.
Photo by Richard Martin

The east abutment of the Beulah Hill bridge in February 2017.
Photo by Richard Martin

 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Tuesday, 14-Mar-2017 10:50:28 GMT
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations