Station Name: MARTELL BRIDGE HALT

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 1.1.1930
Location:

East side of an unnamed minor road (C3009)

Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 25.10.1937
Date closed completely: 25.10.1937
Company on closing: Great Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Pembrokeshire
OS Grid Ref: SM996287
Date of visit: 12 February 2017

Notes: As road transport became more popular throughout West Wales a number of halts were opened in an effort to boost passenger traffic. Four halts were opened on the North Pembrokeshire branch. One of these was Martell Bridge Halt. Although the local spelling of the name is Martel, the GWR (with its reputation for inaccurate rendering of Welsh place-names) added an ‘L’, and this was used in Bradshaw and on tickets.

Martell Bridge Halt was built on an embankment. It served sparsely populated countryside with isolated farms. It was provided with a 75ft platform with sleeper edging and a cinder infill and was lit by oil lamps. It was provided with a smaller shelter than other halts on the line.

The halt was used by an average of 70 passengers per week but was short-lived. Having opened on 1 January 1930, Martell Bridge and the three other new halts opened in 1928-29 brought some increase in passenger revenue but the North Pembrokeshire line was still running at a loss and closed to passengers seven years later on 25 October 1937. Martell Bridge Halt was the last public stopping place to be opened in Pembrokeshire.

The embankment on which the halt stood has been partially removed for farm road-making.

No photographs of Martell Bridge Halt are known to exist.

Ticket from Michael Stewart. Route map drawn by Alan Young

Click here for a brief history of the North Pembrokeshire branch



Sources:

See stations on the North Pembrokeshire Branch: Fishguard & Goodwick, Jordanston Halt, Letterston, Beulah Halt, Castlebythe Halt, Puncheston, New Inn Bridge Halt, Rosebush, Maenclochog, Llanycefn & Beag Fair


Looking south across the site of Martell Bridge Halt in February 2017. The halt would have been at a higher level as the embankment has been partially removed for farm road-making. The bridge
is to the right.
Photo by Richard Martin


As the halt was open for only seven years, it was not shown on any large scale Ordnance Survey maps as no maps were published during its existence. Its position is indicated on this 1907 1:2,500 map.

Looking north at the site of Martell Bridge Halt in February 2017. The embankment behind the trees on which the halt stood has been partially removed.
Photo by Richard Martin

Looking north along the C3009 road at the surviving bridge abutments in February 2017. Martell Bridge Halt was to the right.
Photo by Richard Martin

The west abutment of the C3009 bridge in February 2017. Martell Bridge Halt was to the right.
Photo by Richard Martin



 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 14:38:48 BST
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations