Station Name: NEW INN BRIDGE HALT

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened:

14.10.1929

Location: East side of B4328 road
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 25.10.1937
Date closed completely: 25.10.1937
Company on closing: Great Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Pembrokeshire
OS Grid Ref: SN061299
Date of visit: 12 February 2017

Notes: As road transport became more popular throughout West Wales a number of halts were opened in an effort to boost passenger traffic. Four halts were opened on the North Pembrokeshire branch.

New Inn Bridge Halt was built in a cutting and served New Inn and isolated farms. It was provided with a 75ft platform with sleeper edging and a cinder infill. It had a 12ft x 6ft timber shelter and was lit by oil lamps.

Despite a catchment area with a very low population, the halt was the busiest of the four being used by an average of 100 passengers per week but it was short-lived. Having opened on 14 October 1929, although New Inn Bridge and the three other new halts brought some increase in passenger revenue the North Pembrokeshire line was still running at a loss and closed to passengers eight years later on 25 October 1937.

There are no known pictures of New Inn Bridge Halt

Ticket from Michael Stewart. Route map drawn by Alan Young

Click here for a brief history of the North Pembrokeshire branch



Sources:

See stations on the North Pembrokeshire Branch: Fishguard & Goodwick, Jordanston Halt, Letterston, Beulah Halt, Martell Bridge Halt, Castlebythe Halt, Puncheston, Rosebush, Maenclochog, Llanycefn & Beag Fair


Looking east at the site of New Inn Bridge Halt in July 1974.
Photo by John Mann


As the halt was open for only 8 years, it was not shown on any large scale Ordnance Survey maps as no maps were published during its existence. Its position is indicated on this 1907 1:2,500 map.

Looking west from the B4328 road bridge in September 2016. The halt is behind the photographer.
Photo by Roy Lambeth

Unlike the cutting on the west side of the road which is relatively clear, even in summer, on the east side of the road the cutting has been planted with trees. This view is looking east at the site of New Inn Bridge Halt in February 2017.
Photo by Richard Martin

 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Tuesday, 14-Mar-2017 23:22:01 GMT
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations