Station Name: CASTLEBYTHE HALT

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 24.9.1928
Location: North side of an unnamed minor road (C3100)
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 25.10.1937
Date closed completely: 25.10.1937
Company on closing: Great Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Pembrokeshire
OS Grid Ref: SN008294
Date of visit: 12 February 2017

Notes: As road transport became more popular throughout West Wales a number of halts were opened in an effort to boost passenger traffic. Four halts were opened on the North Pembrokeshire branch.

Castlebythe Halt was built on an embankment and was actually nearer to Puncheston village than Puncheston station was. It was provided with a 75ft platform with sleeper edging and a cinder infill. It had a 12ft x 6ft timber shelter and was lit by oil lamps.

The halt was used by an average of 85 - 90 passengers per week but was short-lived. Having opened on 24 September 1928, Castlebythe and Beulah and the two other new halts opened soon after brought some increase in passenger revenue but the North Pembrokeshire line was still running at a loss and closed to passengers nine years later on 25 October 1937.

There are no known pictures of Castlebythe Halt

Ticket from Michael Stewart. Route map drawn by Alan Young

Click here for a brief history of the North Pembrokeshire branch



Sources:

See stations on the North Pembrokeshire Branch: Fishguard & Goodwick, Jordanston Halt, Letterston, Beulah Halt, Martell Bridge Halt, Puncheston, New Inn Bridge Halt, Rosebush, Maenclochog, Llanycefn & Beag Fair


Looking west at the site of Castlebythe Halt in July 1974.
Photo by John Mann


As the halt was only open for nine years, it was not shown on any large scale Ordnance Survey maps as no maps were published during its existence. Its approximate position is indicated on this
1907 1:2,500 map.

Looking north at the site of Castlebythe Halt in February 2017. The bridge is behind the photographer.
Photo by Richard Martin

The course of the old railway looking east from the road as it climbs up towards Puncheston. The course of the old railway can be seen crossing the centre of the picture; the site of the halt is in the clump of trees in the centre.
Photo by Richard Martin

The east abutment of the C3009 bridge in February 2017. The halt was to the right. The embankment has been partially demolished for farm road-making.
Photo by Richard Martin

The east abutment of the C3009 bridge in February 2017. The halt was to the right.
Photo by Richard Martin


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:06:50 BST
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations