COPY PIT SUMMIT AND THE COLLIERIES FORMERLY SERVED BY THE COPY PIT ROUTE

[Source: Alan Young]

Copy Pit signal box, looking west on 2 August 1968. This box was built in 1905/06, replacing an earlier box which was a short distance south-east. The Stanier Class 8F 2-8-0 is the ‘Copy Pit Banker’, and it is awaiting a path to Rose Grove having completed its final day in this banking role; the ‘end of steam’ on British Railways would be 11 August 1968, and north-west England was steam’s last bastion. The signal box closed on 21 October 1973 when control of the Copy Pit route was taken over by Preston Power Signal Box.
Photo by J A Sommerfield courtesy of Martin Bott

Copy Pit reservoir seen in June 2015.
Photo by Ken Geddes

Horizontal chimney above Copy Pit seen in June 2015.
Photo by Ken Geddes

Inside the horizontal chimney above Copy Pit – June 2015.
Photo by Ken Geddes

The entrance to the drift at the abandoned Cliviger Railway Pit is seen in June 2015.


Cliviger Railway Pit office in June 2015
Photo by Ken Geddes

The old engine house of the disused Cliviger Railway Pit in June 2015.
Photo by Ken Geddes

This is possibly a ventilation shaft of the former Cliviger Railway Pit photographed in June 2015.
Photo by Ken Geddes

The site of Cliviger Union Pit in September 2007.
Photo by Ken Geddes

These stone supports, seen in June 2015, held the winding drum for the cable-operated tramway from Cliviger Union Pit to the railway yard.
Photo by Ken Geddes
Side view of the winding drum support walls in June 2015.
Photo by Ken Geddes

The site of Cliviger Union Pit loading yard adjacent to the existing Copy Pit route in June 2015.
Photo Ken Geddes

The site of Towneley Colliery is occupied by a quiet residential cul-de-sac (The Kilns) and partially wooded open space, including the mossy hillock, seen here in November 2016. The colliery complex, which closed in March 1949, included a brickworks, and the traditional style of kiln on the crest of the hill commemorates the former use of the site.
Photo by Alan Young

Looking north-west in November 2016 within the site of Towneley Colliery (closed 1949). The part of the site where the photographer is standing is turned over to woodland and mossy hillocks, and ahead is a residential cul-de-sac, The Kilns, which also stands on the site of the former colliery.
Photo by Alan Young

Looking north-west in November 2016 along the course of the former tramway from Boggart Bridge Pit (behind the camera) to Towneley Colliery and sidings. The Copy Pit railway route is in the deep cutting to the right at the point where it emerges from Towneley Tunnel. The two coal mines closed in 1949 and it is not known whether the tramway pre-deceased them.
Photo by Alan Young

The site of Boggart Bridge (or Boggart Brig) Pit lies within what is formally known as Burnley Forest, close to the junction of the A646 and A671 roads and adjacent to the Copy Pit route’s Towneley Tunnel. The view is eastwards in November 2016. The pit closed in March 1949, at the same time as its larger neighbour, Towneley Colliery.
Photo by Alan Young


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 16:18:39 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations