Notes: The station opened as Golborne and it was situated on
the St. Helens Central to Lowton St. Mary's branch which left
the Glazebrook to Wigan Central line at Lowton St. Mary's This
line had been sanctioned as early as July 1885 and the original
intention was to create a line that would link Wigan to Southport
by creating a route from Lowton St. Mary's to Fazakerley Junction
on the CLC North Liverpool Extension Line.
The railway company that was formed to build the line the St.
Helens and Wigan Junction Railway (became Liverpool St. Helens
and South Lancashire Railway on 26.7.1889) was in constant financial
difficulty and despite the first sod being cut on 28.1.1888
it did not open to goods traffic until 1.7.1895 and then only
to St. Helens. It was to take another five years for the line
to be brought up to passenger standards by which time any hope
of continuing west had been abandoned.
The line remained a minor branch line that was of far more use
for goods as it linked to a number of collieries in the Lancashire
coalfield. Passenger services were always secondary. In 1906
the line became part of the GCR transferring to the LNER in
The station was known as Golborne GC had two simple wooden platforms
and very sparse facilities. At nationalization it was renamed
Golborne North (1.2.1949) to distinguish it from its nearby
former LNWR namesake. Golborne North station did not survive
long into the period of nationalisation closing on 1.3.1952.
Today nothing remains to show a station ever existed here.
Click on the station name for other stations
on the St.. Helens Central - Lowton St.. Mary's Line. St..
Helens Central, Haydock,
Haydock Park Racecourse
& Lowton St.
Mary's see also Golborne