Station Name: GRIFFITHS CROSSING 1969 INVESTITURE PLATFORM (FERODO PLATFORM)

[Source: Les Fifoot & Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.7.1969
Location: On the north-east side of the bridge that led into the Ferodo Works
Company on opening: British Rail (London Midland Region)
Date closed to passengers: 1.7.1969
Date closed completely: 1.7.1969
Company on closing: British Rail (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Caernarvonshire
OS Grid Ref: SH497652
Date of visit: 28.9.2012

Notes: On 1 July 1969 Queen Elizabeth II's eldest son Prince Charles was invested as Prince of Wales at Caernarfon Castle. The ceremony could be traced back to 1301 when Edward I had invested his own son with the title.

Part of the event involved a procession into Caernarfon. As the Royal Party were to travel to Caernarfon by train, a stopping place was required outside the town. For the 1911 investiture, the Royal Party had stopped at Griffiths Crossing station, which was 2 miles from Caernarfon. The station had closed on 5th July 1937, and the platforms had been demolished. The line from Menai Bridge to Caernarfon was also a shadow of its former self. Formerly a through route from Menai Bridge to Afon Wen, the branch was terminated at Caernarfon in 1964, and singled in 1966.

The solution was to build a temporary platform, at a point slightly closer to Caernarfon than the original Griffiths Crossing station, adjacent to the Ferodo factory. At this point, a bridge crossed the line to the factory, allowing easy main road access. The British Railways Board 'Notice of Royal Trains' number 222W called the temporary facility the Ferodo Platform.

The platform was located on the south-east side of the line to the north-east of the road overbridge, and actually stood on the site of the 'down' line, which had been lifted by that time. It was a simple construction of about one coach length. A set of steps connected to the Ferodo factory car park.

The Royal Train departed from London Euston at 22.25 on 30th June 1969, hauled by two class 40 locomotives, and arrived at Menai Bridge at 03.10 on 1st July. It waited in the sidings at Menai Bridge until it was time for it to travel to Griffiths Crossing, arriving at the platform at 12.30.

The royal party left their train at the Griffiths Crossing platform, and processed to Caernarfon. After the event was over they travelled back to the temporary platform, boarded their train, and travelled back to London Euston.

The platform was dismantled shortly after.

Sources:

To see the other stations on the Menai Bridge - Afonwen line click on the station name: Menai Bridge, Treborth, Port Dinorwic (1st), Port Dinorwic (2nd), Griffiths Crossing, Caernarvon, Carnarvon Pant, Dinas, Llanwnda, Groeslon, Penygroes, Pant Glass, Brynkir, Ynys, Llangybi, Chwilog & Afon Wen

Looking south-west at the investiture platform in late June 1969 during its construction. The picture clearly illustrates how the platform sat on the trackbed of the down line. To the right can be seen the Ferodo factory. The car park to the left served the factory.
P
hoto by Norman Kneale


The site of the investiture platform looking north-east on 28 September 2012. The course of the railway is marked by a footpath/cycleway. The investiture platform was located to the right adjacent to the car park.
P
hoto by Paul Wright


 

 

 

[Source: Les Fifoot & Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 08:35:27 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations