Station Name: HIGHGATE PLATFORM
[Source: Alan Young]
Looking west at Highgate Platform c1910. The up (eastbound) platform is to the right used by children to alight from trains on term-time afternoons. Jack Greenhow, the ganger in charge of this length, is standing on the platform. The down platform is out of sight beyond the bridge; this is used by children in the mornings to join a train for the next station to attend Threlkeld Council School or the Quarry School. To discourage other use of Highgate Platform no nameboards were installed. The cottages to the right of the bridge were provided for the signalman and a permanent way ganger and their families. A ballast train, headed by an LNWR 0-6-2T ‘Coal Tank’, is on the up line.
Photo from Cumbrian Railway Association, Lens of Sutton and John Mann collection
1899 1: 2,500 OS map. This map dates from nine years before Highgate Platform was opened and it would be almost 80 years before the OS published another map of this locality at such a large scale, by which time the railway had been closed and the rails lifted. OS maps never showed Highgate Platform. The up platform was to be constructed east of the bridge and the down platform to its west. Highgate Signal Box is located east of the bridge on the short stretch of level ground between the cutting and the embankment leading to the bridge over Redsike Gill. The semidetached cottages housed the signalman and a permanent way ganger and their families.
Highgate Platform c1910; the up platform where children joined the morning train to Threlkeld.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection
Looking west towards the site of Highgate Platform in 1966. A platelayers’ hut is in the foreground. Highgate’s up platform was immediately before the bridge, served by the line which has been removed and on whose trackbed the photographer is standing.
Photo by J Charters received from Mike Hussey
Looking east in July 1986 from the overbridge at the site of Highgate Platform. The up platform was to the left of the railway trackbed. Children travelling from school in Threlkeld alighted at this platform.
Photo by John Mann
Looking west from the overbridge at Highgate in January 2010. The platform used between 1908 and 1928 by school children to travel to Threlkeld was to the left of the railway trackbed; nothing
remains of it.
Photo by Alan Young
Looking east from the overbridge at Highgate in January 2010 towards the site of the up platform, of which nothing remains. The house was formerly two railway staff cottages as seen (looking in the opposite direction) in the c1910 view. The trackbed of the railway towards Troutbeck occupied the hollow east of centre.
Photo by Alan Young