Station Name: LYDIATE

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 1.9.1884
Location: At the end of Carr Lane on the north side. The unmade track continuing on from Carr Lane is named Lydiate Station Road.
Company on opening: Cheshire Lines Committee
Date closed to passengers: 7.1.1952
Date closed completely: 7.7.1952
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SD355044
Date of visit: 27.12.2005

Notes: Lydiate Station opened as part of the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway which ran between Aintree Central and Southport Lord Street on 1.9.1884. The line was designed to give access to the lucrative holiday market at Southport as an alternative to the L&Y route. From the beginning the line was served by trains from Liverpool Central and from Manchester the former following a circuitous route that could not hope to compete with the direct Liverpool Exchange to Southport Chapel Street Route.

Lydiate Station was located on the north side of a level crossing and had two platforms with a substantial wooden station building provided on the southbound platform. A small shelter type waiting room was provided on the northbound platform.

The station closed to passengers on 1.1.1917 as a war time economy measure. It re-opened on 1.4.1919.

Lydiate Station did not survive long into the nationalization period, freight services were withdrawn on 1.1.1952 with the line completely on 7.1.1952. The line through the station survived to serve private sidings at Altcar and Hillhouse for a further eight years.

Today the route of the line through the station site forms part of the Cheshire Lines Path which is itself part of the Trans Pennine Trail cycleway and footpath between Southport and Hull..

For stations on Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway click on the station name: Southport Lord Street, Birkdale Palace, Ainsdale Beach, Woodvale, Mossbridge, Altcar & Hillhouse,
Sefton and Maghull & Aintree Central



Lydiate Station looking north in 1949



The site of Lydiate Station in December 2005; taken from the same viewpoint as the picture above
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:12:04 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations