Notes: Opened on the CLC Southport to Aintree line in 1886
the station was named Barton and Halsall until 1.8.1894 when
it became Mossbridge.
The line was designed to give access to the lucrative holiday
market at Southport as an alternative to the L&Y route.
From the beginning the line was served by trains from Liverpool
Central and from Manchester the former following a circuitous
route that could not hope to compete with the direct Liverpool
Exchange to Southport Chapel Street Route.
The Station consisted of two platforms with its main facilities
being located on the northbound platform. A simple shelter was
provided for Southbound passengers.
The station closed to passengers on 1.1.1917 as a wartime economy
measure and it never re-opened.
Today the only clue to there ever having been a station here
is an approach road that down from Moss Lane and some building
debris hidden in the undergrowth.
Today the route of the line through the station site forms part
of the Cheshire
Lines Path which is itself part of the Trans
Pennine Trail cycleway and footpath between Southport and
on Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway click on
the station name: Southport
Lord Street, Birkdale
Maghull & Aintree