Notes: Opened as part of the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension
Railway which ran between Aintree Central and Southport Lord
Street in 1884 the station was named Woodville and Ainsdale
until 1.5.1898 when it became Woodvale.
The line was designed to give access to the lucrative holiday
market at Southport as an alternative to the L&Y route.
From the beginning the line was served by trains from Liverpool
Central and from Manchester the former following a circuitous
route that could not hope to compete with the direct Liverpool
Exchange to Southport Chapel Street Route.
Situated on an embankment Woodvale Station consisted of two
platforms with wooden waiting facilities on each. Woodvale Station
was renowned for its excellent floral displays.
The station closed to passengers on 1.1.1917 as a war time economy
measure. It re-opened on 1.4.1919.
Woodvale did not survive long into the period of nationalisation
closing entirely on 7.1.1952.
Today the station site is very much altered as the embankment
has been removed to facilitate the start of the Coastal Road
which runs along the route of the Railway to the site of Birkdale
on Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway click on
the station name: Southport
Lord Street, Birkdale
Maghull & Aintree