Notes: Opened as part of the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension
Railway which ran between Aintree Central and Southport Lord
Street in 1884 the station was named Sefton until 1886 when
it became Sefton and Maghull.
The line was designed to give access to the lucrative holiday
market at Southport as an alternative to the L&Y route.
From the beginning the line was served by trains from Liverpool
Central and from Manchester the former following a circuitous
route that could not hope to compete with the direct Liverpool
Exchange to Southport Chapel Street Route.
Sefton and Maghull had two platforms with a substantial brick
built building on the southbound platform. A small shelter was
provided for passengers traveling northbound.
The station closed to passengers on 1.1.1917 as a war time economy
measure. It re-opened on 1.4.1919.
Sefton and Maghull Station did not survive long into the period
of nationalization closing entirely on 7.1.1952. The line through
the station survived for a further eight years to serve private
sidings at Altcar and Hillhouse.
on Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway click on
the station name: Southport
Lord Street, Birkdale
& Hillhouse, Lydiate