Station Name: WHITEHURST HALT

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.10.1905
Location: North side of the A5
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 12.9.1960
Date closed completely: 12.9.1960
Company on closing: British Railways (Western Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ286401
Date of visit: 6.4.2012

Notes: Whitehurst Halt was located on the Great Western Railway’s (GWR) main line that linked Birmingham to the River Mersey at Birkenhead via Chester. The section of line on which Whitehurst Halt was located had been opened on 1 October 1848 by the Shrewsbury & Chester Railway. The GWR took over the line on 1 September 1854. Under their ownership it became a busy trunk route linking the Midlands to Birkenhead on the River Mersey. Express passenger services began operating between London Paddington and Birkenhead on 1 October 1861. The line also carried heavy volumes of freight. Whitehurst Halt was located on the north side of the London – Holyhead road (the present day A5). A station called Llangollen Road had opened with the line on the south side of the road but it had closed to passengers on 1 July 1862. Llangollen Road station had been provided to serve Llangollen which lay 5¼ miles to the west. Road coaches provided the link between station and town. When a line opened to the town of Llangollen there was no longer any need for the Llangollen Road station.

At the turn of the twentieth century the GWR believed that there was demand for a station at Llangollen Road and they opened the halt on 1 October 1905. At the time of opening the halt was called Llangollen Road but it was renamed Whitehurst Halt on 1 May 1906.

The halt consisted of two short timber platforms each of which had a GWR Pagoda-style waiting shelter. There were nameboards at the north end of the up platform (Shrewsbury direction) and at the south end of the down (Chester direction). Access to the platforms was via sloping paths that connected to the A5 road.

When opened the halt was served by local railmotor trains. The nameboard at road level clearly advertised this fact. Services ran between Wrexham and Oswestry or Ruabon with some through workings to Shrewsbury or Chester.

In 1913 12,829 tickets were issued at Whitehurst Halt a large number for a relatively remote location. The number of passengers using the halt at that time clearly justified the decision to open it. Decline set in after the Great War when bus services became more widespread in the area. In 1923 only 4,468 tickets were sold. A decade later the situation had improved slightly with 6,832 tickets being sold.

On 1 January 1948 Whitehurst Halt became part of British Railways Western Region (BR[WR]). The summer 1949 timetable showed ten up and nine down trains on Monday-to-Friday. No trains called on Sunday.

Up Trains – Summer 1949

Destination

Down Trains – Summer 1949

Destination

6.55am

Oswestry

7.55am

Ruabon

8.12am

Shrewsbury

8.40am

Chester General

9.41am

Oswestry

11.01am

Wrexham General

12.00noon

Oswestry

1.00pm

Wrexham General

2.27pm

Shrewsbury

2.36pm

Chester General

4.29pm

Oswestry

5.54pm

Chester General

6.02pm

Gobowen

7.45pm

Wrexham General

7.13pm

Shrewsbury

9.20pm

Wrexham General

8.17pm

Gobowen

10.13pm

Wrexham General

10.56pm

Oswestry

Nine years later the 15 September 1958 timetable showed only two trains in each direction Monday-to-Saturday. In the up direction there two trains to Shrewsbury at 8.12am and 2.29pm. In the down direction there were two trains to Chester at 7.54am and 8.32am and a train to wrexham at 11.11am.

With such a poor level of service it came as little surprise when BR[WR] closed Whitehurst Halt on 12 September 1960 and it appears to have been demolished shortly after leaving no trace.

Tickets from Michael Stewart and route map by Alan Young

Sources:

  • A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain - Volume II North & Mid Wales - Peter E Baughan - David & Charles 1980.
  • Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies - Christopher Awdry - Guild Publishing 1990.
  • Paddington to the Mersey - Dr R. Preston Hendry & R. Powell Hendry - Oxford Publishing Company 1992.
  • Railway Passenger Stations in Great Britain - a Chronology - Michael Quick - Railway & Canal Historical Society 2009.
  • Shrewsbury to Chester - Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith - Middleton Press 2010.

To see the other stations on the Shrewsbury - Chester General line click on the station name: Shrewsbury S&C, Leaton, Oldwoods Halt, Baschurch,
Stanwardine Halt
,
Haughton Halt, Rednal & West Felton,
Whittington Low Level, Weston Rhyn, Trehowell Halt, Llangollen Road,
Rhosymedre, Cefn, Rhosymedre Halt, Wynnville Halt, Rhos, Johnstown & Hafod, Rhosrobin Halt, Gresford, Rossett, Pulford, Balderton and Saltney

Whitehurst Halt looking north in 1950.
Copyright photo from Stations UK and Middleton Press


Whitehurst Halt shown on a six-inch scale map from 1949.


Whitehurst Halt seen from road level on 1 July 1953.
Copyright photo from the Tony Harden collection


The Whitehurst Halt sign seen in the Cambrian Railway Society museum at Oswestry on 28 April 2016.
Photo by Terry Callaghan

A view looking north at the site of Whitehurst Halt in January 1974.
P
hoto by John Mann

The site of Whitehurst Halt looking south on 6 April 2012.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

A view looking north at the site of Whitehurst Halt on 6 April 2012.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 19-Jun-2016 14:06:52 BST
© 2004-2016 Disused Stations