Station Name: WITHINS LANE

[Source: Paul Wright & Alan Young]


Date opened: August 1847
Location: Probably south side of Withins Lane
Company on opening: East Lancashire Railway
Date closed to passengers: December 1851
Date closed completely: 1896-1898
Company on closing: East Lancashire Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SD791082
Date of visit: 6.11.2010

Notes: Withins Lane station was on the East Lancashire Railway’s (ELR) Clifton Junction to Accrington line which had opened in stages between September 1846 and August 1848. At first the idea was for a line between Clifton Junction and Rawtenstall via Bury which was discussed at a meeting on 24th September 1843, the outcome being the creation of the Manchester, Bury & Rossendale Railway (MB&RR). This company was formally incorporated on 4th July 1844. While the line was under construction another company, the Blackburn, Bury, Accrington & Colne Extension Railway (BBACER), proposed to build a line between Stubbins, which lay to the north of Ramsbottom, and Accrington. The aims of the two companies were so aligned that on 21st July 1845 the companies merged as the East Lancashire Railway.

Withins Lane Station, which was adjacent to the Manchester Bolton & Bury Canal opened in August 1847 to serve a small community of houses called Withins Terrace on the north side of the line, which was built to house the workforce from Withins Works adjacent to the station. From the start, it was not well used and closed to passengers in May 1849, reopening in February 1850 when it was served by trains on Saturdays only. The ELR closed the station in December 1851. Withins Works had closed by the turn of the century. There are no known pictures of the station, nor does it appear on any maps. It is likely that it was situated on the south side of Withins Lane. As the line at Withins Lane double-track

it is likely that the station was provided with two low platforms.

Goods facilities at Withins Lane remained open until 1898. The goods yard was located on the up side of the line to the south of the station with the private Hagside siding on the down side opposite the station.

Sources:

To see other stations on the East Lancashire Railway Clifton Junction - Bacup line click on the station name on the station name:
Clifton Junction
, Molyneux Brow, Ringley Road, Radcliffe Bridge, Bury Bolton Street, Summerseat, Ramsbottom, Helmshore, Haslingden, Baxenden & Accrington

See also Stubbins Junction to Bacup: Stubbins, Irwell Vale (new station on the ELR), Ewood Bridge & Edenfield, Rawtenstall, Clough Fold, Waterfoot for Newchurch, Stacksteads & Bacup


Looking south at the probable site of the short lived Withins Lane station in November 2010. The railway here closed on the 17th of August 1991. The route of the line through Withins Lane was then used as part of the Manchester Metrolink Tram network. A Metrolink Tram can be seen heading south towards central Manchester. The building on the left is on the site if Withins Works.
Photo by Paul Wright


1889 1:2500 OS Map.

Looking north at the site of Withins Lane sidings and goods yard in November 2010. The building stands on the site of Withins Works.
Photo by Nick Catford

Looking south from the site of Withins Lane station towards the former junction between the routes to Manchester via Clifton Junction and to Manchester via Prestwich. The Clifton line went to the right and is marked by the long grass to the right of the tram lines. This route had opened in 1846 and Withins Lane station opened to serve it. The lines in this picture follow the Prestwich route which opened in 1879 many years after Withins Lane station had closed. The route to Clifton closed in December 1966 and the Prestwich line in August 1991. The route of the Prestwich line was however re-used as part of the Metrolink Tram system.
Photo by Paul Wright




 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright & Alan Young]




Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 09:03:42 BST
© 1998-2010 Disused Stations