Station Name: ARCHCLIFFE JUNCTION STAFF HALT
By January 1948
|Location:||East side of Archcliffe Junction at the west end of Beech Street (street now gone)|
|Company on opening:||British Railways (Southern Region)|
|Date closed to passengers:||
|Date closed completely:||Unknown but before 1997|
|Company on closing:||British Railways (Southern Region)|
Part of the platform is extant
|OS Grid Ref:||TR316403|
|Date of visit:||Not visited|
Notes: In 1928 the Southern Railway opened a concrete 5-road shed, with an eastlight roof and one through road, as well as a large marshalling yard to the west of the Town station. The yard covered much of the station site and included access from the Folkestone line to Dover Western Docks. The platform was partially rebuilt with a curve towards Dover Marine, and Archcliffe Junction signal box was resited to the west end of the platform; this opened in June 1928.
A record in the National Archives (AN 157/469) describes a staff halt at Archcliffe Junction signal box in January 1948. This was presumably the old Town platform.
The last train ferry sailing from Dover Western Docks was the 13.30 from Dover on 22 December 1995 by which time all general mixed freight was going through the Channel Tunnel. No further traffic was handled by the Dover Town yard although it was used for the storage of condemned wagons for a few months. The track was lifted in 1997 although Archcliffe Junction signal box did not close until 12 April 1998. It is not known how long the platform was used by signal box staff.
See also: Folkestone (temporary station),
Folkestone East, Folkestone Harbour, Folkestone Warren Halt, Shakespeare Cliff Halt, Dover Town, Dover Admiralty Pier, Dover Prince of Wales Pier, Dover Marine/Western Docks
|Last updated: Friday, 12-May-2017 18:42:23 BST||
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations