also ran on
to the Admiralty Pier.
||Notes: The South Eastern Railway opened their terminus at
Dover Town on 7.2.1844. In 1861 the line was extended the
short distance on to Dover Admiralty Pier where there was
interchange with continental ferries From the 1.11.1861 the
London Chatham and Dover railway opened their terminus at
Dover Harbour and on 30.8.1864 Chatham trains
2.2.1915 when the new station became the principal ambulance
train railway station. During the early years of the war
the station was still in an unfinished state with the
overall roof and additional internal structures being
added at a later date.
over the pier and the transshipment of passengers and
luggage became a nightmare. To overcome this, work started
on a new Dover Marine Station adjacent to the train ferry
dock on reclaimed land on the north side of the pier in
1909. The station was completed in 1914 but with the start
of WW1 the continental ferry service ceased and the station
opened as Dover Admiralty Pier for military use only on
|Continuous traffic growth in the later
years of the 19th Century underlined the need for improving
the Admiralty Pier which was open to the elements with two narrow platforms. In rough weather
The original Admiralty Pier station had closed with the withdrawal
of continental ferries in August 1914 after the start of WW1.
With the restoration of continental services after the war
the new station was renamed Dover Marine in 1918 and opened
for passenger traffic on 18.1.1919
||A number of special services were introduced including the
'Golden Arrow', which was first ran in 1926 and was made up
entirely of Pullman coaches. The 'Night Ferry' was launched
on 14.10.1936 and was Britain's first international passenger
sleeper train running between London and Paris and from 1956
The station was once again in the front line during
WW2 suffering much damage. Although the ferry service
was once again curtailed the station remained operational
resuming its military role which included special passenger
trains during the Dunkirk evacuation.
After the war the passenger ferries returned but with
the popularity of the car new car ferry services were
introduced and the number of rail passengers using the
ferries dropped dramatically.
Bomb damage during WW2
The Golden Arrow was withdrawn on 30.9.1972 and the Night
Ferry followed on 31.10.1980.
|On 25.9.1994 Dover Western Docks Station was closed following
the completion of the Channel Tunnel and concentration of
remaining Dover ferry services on the non-rail connected Eastern
Docks. After 'official' closure the station continued to be
used by unadvertised passenger trains to Faversham until 19.11.1994
after which date they were classified as
empty stock movements.
After closure the station remained in operational use for
train berthing and cleaning purposes but all rail connections
were finally removed in early 1996.
For further information on Dover's railways and the Admiralty
Pier see Dover
- Lock and key of the Kingdom web site. See also Night
Ferry. Tickets from Michael Stewart
See also Dover
Admiralty Pier Station & Dover